SPXC Takes California

Aslan McCurdy, Staff Writer

This year’s Seattle Prep Cross Country Team had the opportunity to travel to Irvine, California to race in Woodbridge Invitational in Orange County. Even without the efforts of Joe Hardy, both teams continue to put their blood, sweat and tears into every race. Thomas Mallick (’16) said that “It [running] is fun because I get to do something fun with people that I love.”

The race itself was fast and flat, unlike the monster of a meet at Lower Woodland. It took place after dark in a beautiful outdoor sports complex. Megan Faricy (’16) said that “It was a fun course and it was fun to run in Great Park in Orange County.”

Freshman Riva Tobin raved “The course was really fun and the trip was a good bonding experience for our team.”

Junior Joe Chamberlin had the most insightful comments of the night “Race good. Run fast.”

Almost all members of both teams received personal bests for their times on the course. Junior Meghan McLaughlin cut three minutes off her best time from last year, an almost impossible feat.

There were 246 schools at the meet, and Prep finished 163rd. Mr. Niggemeyer, the girl’s coach, said that in years to come he “Hopes to bring as many girls as he can” because it was such a fun experience for the team.

Both the girls’ and guys’ teams raced in the “Gold” division, the second most competitive division at the invitational. The comment of the night was “Wait… You guys are from Seattle?! You flew down here?!” Out of all of the teams, Seattle Prep XC traveled the farthest, but the meet included teams from Arizona, Oregon, and of course all throughout California.