Navigating Adelphia Memorial Hall

Annika Bjornson, Staff Writer

Adelphia Memorial Hall opened to students this fall

What happens when you combine generous families, passionate hard-workers, and the fierce Panther spirit? Brilliant, amazing ideas come to life. These past few years, Seattle Prep harbored their most exciting one yet, and this fall it is ready to be released. Welcome to Adelphia Memorial Hall! Out with the old Adelphia, in with the new.

The safety requirements of Adelphia Hall were not adequate and therefore needed adjustment. However, prep didn’t stop there. Millions of dollars have been raised to create a beautiful new home. Junior Samantha Eco shared a special moment regarding the new building. “Over the summer before school was starting, Pulse was having their summer intensive, so me and my friend decided to check out the new building and the first time I walked into the great room, I couldn’t breathe. It was so beautiful.”

Aside from Adelphia, Prepsters are excited about another recently-available space. Already, many people have fallen in love with the beautiful Our Lady of Montserrat Chapel with just a quick step inside. “Making this dream a reality…has been the most rewarding project I’ve ever had the opportunity to work on. When I enter the chapel, I feel peace. During our first faculty and staff prayer service I was able to look out through the trees and see the light shining through them. I felt closer to God.” Said Liz Brennan of the Development Office.

Brennan is thankful to all the hard workers and generous donors who made this place possible. “The chapel is beautiful, but it’s so much more than that–it’s a warm, peaceful, bright space that puts me at ease the minute I walk into it…your worries will melt away.” Said Collegio teacher Miss Dotsey.

Dotsey and Brennan have made it official – the chapel must be visited. Oh, and bonus points for locating the St. Ignatius relic.

Seattle Prep is excited to be welcoming a new freshmen – Adelphia Memorial Hall. Except, instead of her getting lost, students are the ones wandering the halls when the bell rings. Any time students have to adjust to new circumstances, this challenge is sure to come up. It may seem that this terrible state of panic that comes with confusion is unavoidable, but there are several hints and tips to help you find your way through the beautiful new building. “There’s a second set of stairs that no one uses. It’s by the garage, from the old building.” Said Anna Fuller.

This was Fuller’s secret, but on particularly traffic-heavy days, it could become a go-to route. Students can avoid the rush of the stairs altogether if they pack up swiftly and get to their next class. As for finding classrooms, pay attention to the floor you are on, it’s signs, and landmarks.

There are contrasting pieces of advice relating to how you can get through the crowd. Some choose an aggressive approach, while others find a more passive one extremely effective. Ms. Dotsey reported of her navigation experiences that, “Generally, when I’m lost, I stand around whimpering until someone wanders along and saves me. It’s worked every time, so far!”

Another area with potential for big improvement is the way students choose to conduct ourselves as they get around. Several students offered opinions on how to make the traffic of the stairs easier, and they all said the same thing. “One door should be designated for exiting the stairwell and one should be designated for entering the stairwell.”

With this hopefully helpful guide and review of a new Panther home, the Newspaper staff hopes students will be able to see Adelphia Memorial Hall and Our Lady of Montserrat Chapel with a rich, vivid perspective – that does not involve a tardy-related trip to JUG.