What are the Energy Drinks that Prep students drink?

Beni Jurion, Staff Writer

Red Bull- 31%

This 8.4 fl energy drink is the most popular energy drink in the world as it is greatly popularized through the company’s involvement in both regular and extreme sports. Red Bull has several different products: Red Bull Energy, Red Bull Peach Edition, and Red Bull Sugar free. At Seattle Prep, Red Bull Energy is by far the most popular of the drinks. The main ingredient in this energy drink is caffeine. Similar to home-brewed coffee, Red Bull Energy also has 80mg of caffeine. The popular energy drink’s other main ingredients include: several vitamins, sugar and Taurine. While the ingredients provide a boost of energy, there are some long-term effects when used in large quantities. Some long-term effects include increased blood pressure and heart rate, potentially increasing the chance of type-2 diabetes, damaging teeth, negatively affect the kidney, and caffeine overdose. Despite this, health experts generally say that drinking up to 400mg, or four 8-ounce Red Bulls worth of caffeine is safe. However, research shows that this may only be the case with frequent and excessive use, but children and pregnant women should avoid drinking this energy drink.

Yerba Matte- 29%

Yerba Mate is a traditional South American beverage that has become popular for its reputation of being a high caffeine energy drink that doesn’t include a “jittery buzz.” Yerba’s 16 fl drink contains 150mg of caffeine which almost matches the strength of coffee. Unlike Red Bull, Yerba Mate is a tea that has similar effects of an energy drink and is not a sole product of a company. Traditional Yerba Mate includes filling a container three-quarters up with dry leaves of the mate plant and filling it up with hot water. Nutritionist Christy Bissette, R.D., recommended that it is okay to drink a cup of Yerba Mate multiple times a week, but drinking Yerba Mate over time has been associated in an increase in mouth, esophageal, and lung cancer-especially for smokers. However, the association isn’t totally clear, and more research must be needed. Other side effects of yerba mate have to do with the caffeine in it and can result in insomnia, headache, restlessness, and an upset stomach.

Monster-21%

Monster Energy is a similar energy drink to Red Bull. Similar to Red Bull, Monster is greatly popularized through its involvement in extreme sports. When picking an energy drink from Monster Energy, there are over 50 different options. Red Bull and Monster share similar nutrient contents but differ slightly in their ingredients and flavor. Red Red Bull contains caffeine, taurine, B vitamins, and sugar — all of which may provide a short-term energy boost. Monster contains these ingredients as well but adds guarana, ginseg root, and L-carnitine, which may also increase energy levels. Due to the added ingredients, Monster has a different taste to Red Bull. On the health side, Monster has the same energy drink effects as Red Bull, though the larger can size means that there is an increase of caffeine. Moreover, while Red Bull is often sold in single-serving, 8-ounce cans, while Monster is usually available in 16-ounce cans.  Overall, these two different can sizes are the main differences between these two energy drinks.

Bang Energy- 19%

Bang Energy Drinks are considered new in the highly competitive caffeinated beverage market. They brand themselves as a “potent brain and body-rocking fuel” with zero calories, zero carbohydrates, and zero sugars but include supplements such as creatine and amino acids. Bang includes 300mg of caffeine per 16 oz, which is about 3 cups of coffee in 1 can. This is really close to the 400mg health limit on caffeine. While drinking more than 400mg is not deadly, it can lead to many side effects such as, migraine headaches, insomnia, nervousness, irritability, restlessness, frequent or uncontrollable urination, upset stomach, fast heartbeat and muscle tremors as according to the Washington Post. Bang Energy has more than 15 flavor options including Rainbow Unicorn, Star Blast and Birthday Cake Bash.