Teachers Switch, Students Report on Changes in Collegio

Margot Gwynn and Annie Roske

Any insights students may have received about their Collegio placement is of little value this fall because many teachers have been reassigned to different Collegios, creating new learning opportunities for students and teachers alike.

Seattle Prep’s uniqueness roots from the multi-disciplinary class Collegio. Whether it be from an older sibling or simply a familiar face, everyone has heard something about the many, occasionally competitive, Collegio classes at Prep. But now, many Collegios are led by a different teacher pair.

Asked why this was done, Ms. Slevin responded, “just because we think it’s a good idea. We can learn things from each other.”

The Collegio teacher changes are very beneficial to teachers because it helps them experience different teaching methods and gives them an opportunity to learn from their peers and benefit from each other’s ongoing training and development.

Despite all of the teachers switching, Collegio as a whole has been able to maintain its core concept; a multi-disciplinary class that helps students connect different subjects and ideas, while remembering the hard work and discipline required for the class. These values have not been lost in the teacher changes and continue to help students with their learning.

“Collegio has impacted me because I have learned to connect themes and events from our daily lives and tie it to history, theology, and literature. I feel I have become a more analytic thinker,” said Ella Shigo, sophomore. These values are the reason such a rigorous class is required of students:  to encourage the growth and diversity of education in the Seattle Prep community.

Teachers upholding different roles is just one of the many things that keep not only Collegio, but also other arts and science classes constantly moving forward for the good of the student body. Teachers switch classes annually at Prep. Collegio, being unique to Seattle Prep, is affected most by these switches. Many students and teachers would agree that the switches are not only helpful, but also necessary to giving students the most diverse learning opportunities available.