Senior Athletes Look to Translate Success to College Level

Mark McClean, Staff Writer

Fourteen Senior athletes Aaron Yuan, Sergei Jacobs, Sophie Hirst, Kalu Stricklin, Jaxon Woodward, Clayton Thompson, Joe Sheh, Charles Sheh, Jamie Brennan, Connor Brennan, Emma Conaty, Nic Lynch, Brent Fisher, and Taylor Nielson are set to  compete in their respective sports collegiately.

Sophie Hirst is committed to Harvard for soccer. She is excited to, “represent her school, and do something that I love at the collegiate level. Also, I am excited for the academic part of Harvard. It is great going to a school that not only has a great soccer program but will also give me a world class education. I really feel that I found a school that fits me.”

A big part of college process which Hirst hinted at is finding a college that you can truly call home both excited about.”

Clayton Thompson recently committed to Whitman for baseball. He said, “…it was extremely challenging to find a school that fits me as both a student, and a baseball player. I really feel that at Whitman I will have the opportunity to compete both on the field and in the classroom. That is something me and my family are extremely excited about.”

Playing collegiate sports is an amazing accomplishment. Taylor Nielsen also a Harvard soccer commit, says, “It was a lot of work. Starting my sophomore year I started emailing the Harvard coaches, and after they started to take some interest I took a trip to  Boston. After that I really had to focus on keeping my grades and SAT scores up. I am extremely excited to play soccer in college and see where this journey takes me.”

Jaxon Woodward is committed to The University of Idaho for football. He is extremely excited to represent not only Prep, but also Seattle up in Idaho. He says, “I am extremely excited to play football in college, it has always been a huge goal of mine. I am also excited to represent the Prep program and the Seattle football community in
college. I can not wait for fall camp to start and the pads to come on.”

Coming from an amazing academic oriented school like Prep it is not surprising to see so many athletes prioritizing their education in college. It will be fun to see these athletes grow as both students and athletes in the coming years as they are able to take their many talents and gifts with them to college.