Skogland Seeks Change Through Raising Awareness

Sophie Freeman

Skogland directs actors during a short film for Seattle Prep Film Club. Skogland uses her passion for social justice to inform her film making.

Gabi Jeakle, Online Editor

There is major discrepancy in the film industry. Generally men are more encouraged to go into film, which means they are more likely to go to film school, make high budget films, and win accolades. So how do we break this system?

The simple answer: wonderful intelligent women who are talented, and passionate.
Senior Mackenzie Skogland, film club leader and social justice extraordinaire, is off to Dupaul.
She’ll be spending her college years doing what she loves and pursuing her passions.
Skogland said that her love for sto- rytelling started at a young age. “I always wanted to tell
stories, but whenever I wrote them down it never came out the same. For awhile I was really
upset that I couldn’t have a space for sharing my voice, but then I found filmmaking.”

Skogland is a member of the Seattle Prep Film Club, and has worked on numerous
projects during her time at Prep. Some for school publicity, such as the yearly Olympic week
videos, and some for creative means.

Skogland has also spent much of her senior year organizing gun control within the Prep
community. She was the heat behind the student led walkout, and as- sembling a team to attend
the March for our lives in March.

As she moves on to a new city, she has no plans to stop advocating for justice. “All I know is that I want to stay involved in  helping the world become a better place. That is really important to me and I don’t think
I’ll stop trying to make the world equal for all people.”

Skogland says that what has stuck with her most from her time at Prep has been witnessing
the kindness of others. From her friends being inclusive at lunch tables, to her teachers
making sacrifices for their students.

“Those teachers who would do anything for others and passionate about their work. They in- spire me and have given me the best piece of advice I can get” said Skogland.

Through her four years, Mackenzie Skogland has brought passion, and justice to each and every day.

“She doesn’t let injustice go unnoticed. She will always stand up in the face of unfair treatment. She cares about everyone.” said Sofia Gutierrez ‘20.

Although we’ll miss her here at Prep, her legacy will last far beyond her time here. Thank you Mackenzie. For being
an advocate for justice, and for teaching me that girls can do film too! Go forth and make the world a little bit happier. You truly are the hero we need.