DACA: Protecting the American Dream

Gabi Jeakle, Online Editor

DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

As of mid September, approximately 700,000 people could face deportation with the repeal of DACA. Applicants must be enrolled in high school, have a high school diploma, or be a military veteran to receive protection under DACA. These children and young people, though of foreign descent, are just as American as you and me. Many of them were brought to America as infants. America is all they know. Culture is not determined by the color of your skin, but the accumulation of your experiences. These children have the right to be educated in their familiar culture.

President Trump is hardly a beacon of light for these immigrants. He has not been shy when it comes to his opinions about immigrants, particularly Mexicans. In his presidential announcement speech, Trump made his opinions undeniably clear. “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. … They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

Trump has reinforced the stigma against Mexican immigrants, promoting systematic racism and worsening the ability for public acceptance of said immigrants, so, is it really shocking that he would strip the children of these so called “rapists” of their rights? Equality is an unalienable right. The very basis of justice and equality is merely humanity. Education is a fundamental right, not a privilege.

We sit in school everyday without even thinking about it. We complain about how much homework we have over the weekend, and we dread inevitable final exams. Imagine if this was all you had, and if it could be taken away in a heartbeat. Imagine that if you weren’t in school, you’d be sent away from everyone and everything you know.

Immigrants come to America for a new start. They come to dream. They come to contribute. They come to be Americans, a privilege that we take for granted everyday. The repeal of DACA would mean a drastic drop in the workforce, and public education system, which will in turn take a massive chunk out of the economy.

America is not great because of the people we kick out. We are great because of the dreamers we bring in. After all, one, two, or ten generations ago, your family were immigrants, too.