Grandma Style Meets Skater Boy: Fall Fashion at Prep

Mimi Jurion, Editor-in-Chief

This year’s seniors are the last 90s kids left at Prep to leave a legacy of fashion trends from their childhood generation- capturing the essence of “off the shoulder” shirts worn by Sandy in Grease and Rachel Greene’s stylish “mom jeans” in Friends. As always during the fall season, turtlenecks, bomber jackets and boyfriend jeans are staple items. Some trending pieces include bodysuits, jumpsuits, parachute pants, lace-up tops, flare jeans and jumpers which can always be layered with a cozy fur-lined jacket! Quick and easy outfit ideas for a rushed 7am morning can apply to both girls and guys alike- joggers and a Lululemon athletic top paired with Air-Maxs is an refreshed look for any day.

This season, Seattle Prep’s stereotypical “preppy” style adopts edgier accessories such as chokers- whether a string or leather cord. Another accessory is a Parisian favorite- a small scarf or bandana tied artfully on the nape of the neck. Some material trends also include mesh, velvet, silk, corduroy and suede, which were worn interchangeably during New York Fashion Week 2016. Supermodels Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid wore over the knee suede boots, and

New York socialite and fashion inspiration Olivia Palermo displayed her lace-up pointy flats in her front row seat next to the runway.

Senior Ellie Beshlian ’17 is often called “hipster” or “artsy” because of her eye-pleasing wardrobe of oversized polar bear t-shirts or thrifted jackets that we may accidentally stumble upon in our grandpa’s closet. Her fashion inspirations include Emily Weiss, Matthew Grey Gubler and most characters from Freaks and Geeks and That 70s Show. When asked how she describes her style, Ellie confidently confided, “my style is best described as stylish grandma meets skater boy”. Not surprisingly, this Capitol Hill resident can be found at most thrift stores when shopping for new finds, such as Goodwill. Like any real hipster should, she also loves Urban Outfitters and Uniglo. Some advice she can give to Prep students for making outfit choices is to choose one colorful pieces to accent the rest of a neutral colored outfit. Make sure to spot Ellie and her auburn hair in the halls most likely sporting an oversized tee and denim jacket!