Black Friday: Chaos & Consumerism

Isabella Yuson, Staff Writer

Mad, chaotic, and terrifying adequately describe one of the most anticipated days of the winter season: Black Friday. Customers camp outside of stores and wait for the doors to open so they can get sale items before they run out. Employees are getting ready for a very busy day and hope that they will not be forced to the ground by the mass of customers. When the time has finally come to open shop, the next few seconds happen in a flash. Customers squeeze through the door like a fat dog trying to go through their little door on the wall. They rush in and immediately race to get the items on their checklist. A television, toys for the kids, a new washing machine. All of the sudden, there is a fight over in the corner between a man and a woman who are wrestling over a sale on a toaster. This is only a glimpse of what happens during Black Friday.
Many students at Seattle Prep have had the experience of going Black Friday shopping. There are countless options to choose from. On Black Friday, Orlo Singletary ’18 bought Moncler jackets to keep warm in the winter season. Anisha Patton ’17 bought makeup from Too Faced, Tarte, and Smashbox and shoes from Steve Madden. Grace Parkins ’19 bought shoes and coats from Nordstrom for about 50 dollars.
Questions always arise about Black Friday shopping: Is it worth it waiting in a long line? Is it worth it being surrounded by many people? Michael Hoyal ’19 says that it is worth it because the deals are good. He also adds that “those socks two dollars a piece girl.” On the other hand, Alex Tuminello ’19 disagrees and says to “save money for more valuable things.”
Black Friday shopping is a wild experience that everyone should try whether it scares someone or not. It is an interesting way to see the craziness of shoppers and it shows how much sales mean to people. If Jasmine Lenta ’20 had to give advice to people who want to go Black Friday shopping, she would say that people should go because it is fun if you like shopping and to go early for the best deals. Maddie Deasy ’20 recommends to go at a comfortable time. Finally, Sierra Leza ’17 says to “get in, get stuff, then get out as quick as you can. Or better yet, just don’t go Black Friday shopping and keep the Thanksgiving spirit for one more day.”