Seattle Prep Athletes on to the Next Level

Tessa Winkelhake

Rachel Gemperle (left) is one of the many students pursuing athletic dreams at the Collegiate level

Sarah Buchanan, Sports Editor

This year, Seattle Prep has a large number of students moving on to the next level of athletic competition in collegiate sports. Whether they are going to the Division 1 level or even community college, athletes who have a passion for the game are pursuing their dreams.
Many people strive to play collegiate sports but due to various reasons are unable to do so. In addition, athletes who want to compete at the next level but do not want to make the huge commitment of a varsity sport, have the option to play their sport at a club level. Club sports are a viable option for many of the sports that are not offered at the varsity level. Jackson McCune ‘16 will be playing club rugby at Bucknell University and Alex Martin ‘16, among others, will be playing club lacrosse at Boston College.
When asked about what soccer superstar Sam Hiatt ‘16 is most excited about playing for Boston College, she responded: “Traveling around with the team will be a blast. I already know some of the girls from camps and tours, but I’m excited to meet the rest of the girls.”
Hiatt ‘16 mentioned she is nervous about the distance from home but her parents plan to attend a large number of home games.
Some other athletes chose to stay closer to home, extending their wings to Walla Walla and Lacey, Washington. Luc Birchfield ‘16 will be playing D3 golf for Whitman College. Birchfield ‘16 has been playing the sport since he was four years old and acted as a captain for the 2016 Prep Boys Golf Team as well as making it to Districts. He is ready for the new level of competition at the community-oriented college.
Another athlete remaining in Washington is future track and cross country runner for St. Martin’s University, Seth Chism ‘16. Chism ‘16 has never ran cross country before but was informed to do both in order to stay in shape. The aspect Chism ‘16 is most excited for is the free gear and services, including a team nutritionist. He wishes for Seattle Prep people to drive down to Lacey and support him whenever possible. In his words, Chism is “hyped, pumped, and ready to roll”.
Seattle Prep wanted to wish these amazing athletes good luck in their endeavors in college by honoring them at a collegiate athlete recognition ceremony on Wednesday, May 18th. Many students showed up to support their friends and fellow Panthers.