Fantasy Football: Not Just an Imaginary Sport

Gabe Berger ‘17 poses to show off his straightened locks as a result of losing his fantasy football game.

Paul Winebrenner, Staff Writer

Without a doubt, there has been much to do about fantasy football this fall and winter semester, and with good reason. Everyone loves feeling smart about that waiver wire pick up that scored 30 points three straight weeks.

The problem is, for the vast majority at Prep, fantasy loses are the source of much sadness and much table conversation. Nonetheless, there are so many people playing fantasy football now, it’s hard to avoid hearing the topic anywhere on campus. The topic of the draft and the waiver wire were the most discussed topic of any football related discussion around.

As August turned to September, many fantasy leagues began. One horror story, as provided by Andy Brautigam ‘17 starts, “I was 1-4 to start the season. First on the waiver wire, I dropped 12 of my 16 original players and picked up people like Charcandrick West and players who were hit or miss”. Fortunately for Andy Brautigam ‘17, he would bounce back and return to the level of decency that most Seattle Prep students attain in their leagues.

Not all fantasy football general managers are as fortunate as Brautigam. Junior Gabe Berger lost his league and had to pay the penalty of straightening his hair for a week as punishment. Many players point to being flexible and picking up players throughout the season for help in a playoff run. Brautigam ‘17 commented, “I dropped 12 of my 16 original players and only just missed out on the playoffs. I went 5-3 down the stretch though and one of my pick ups, Tim Hightower, averaged 26!”