Intramurals: A Lunchtime Showdown

Allison Kearney, Staff Writer

During the winter sports season for those who do not play on a Prep basketball team, there is an intense lunchtime basketball league; intramural. People of all basketball backgrounds play and everyone is encouraged to play.
Teams play in a number of games then the best of the teams are placed into a tournament. The games are single elimination. There is a boys team winner and a girls team winner.
Mr. Mack, the organizer of intramurals, says that “This is a way to offer non- competitive, non-cut opportunities for students to have fun through athletics.”
Intramural’s started at Prep in 1993, but lots of other high schools and colleges have had a variety of intramural sports before then. In addition to basketball, Prep also has an intramural kickball league during spring sports season.
For those who do not participate in the intramural program can be guaranteed a good time watching others compete for the ultimate title of winning the tournament. Games take place during lunch time on selected days and the gym is opening for Prep students viewing pleasure.
For Prep students who regret not playing in the basketball league there is an opportunity to round up a team for the new kickball league. Kickball will begin with the start of the spring sports season.