Get Your Head in the Game: Prep’s Concussion Rate Increase

Sarah Buchanan, Sports Editor

It is a well-known danger among athletes that concussions could occur at any time, regardless if the sport is contact or non-contact. Like any injury, athletes are at risk of receiving a concussion every time they play. Concussions are defined as “a brain injury caused by a blow to the head or a violent shaking of the head and body”. They effect the person in a physical, cognitive and emotional way. This brain injury can be identified through various symptoms. Concussions can become known through the physical symptoms of of dizziness, vomiting, nausea, or through other difficulties of moving. Cognitive and emotional symptoms can include having trouble focusing, confusion and disorientation. The Athletic Trainer for Seattle Prep commented on the importance of recognizing the symptoms of a concussion: “Early detection and treatment can has a three-fold effect: it decreases severity of symptoms, reduces time one may have those symptom, and potentially reduces symptoms from subsequent concussions”.

This season, Seattle Prep has experienced more concussions than normal for fall sports. Typically, the number of concussion patients during the fall sports season is around 9 people. However, this season, the number of people rose to over 20 patients. There has been an increase in awareness for concussions which one of the only explanations as to why the number has risen this season.

But what exactly happens during a concussion? Well, the trauma creates swelling and reduces the oxygen supply to the brain, thus creating dizziness. Also, pressure is placed on the nerves of the brain which results in headaches. Typically, the location of the swelling can help to determine the symptoms; however, symptoms can vary person to person. This makes it difficult to make an accurate statement as to why the average number of concussion patients have increased during the 2015 fall sports season.

One of the many challenges facing students with concussions is the academic workload. Students are not advised to complete schoolwork while experiencing concussion symptoms because the taxing mental activity can extend the length of recovery time. Concussion patients are ordered to physically and mentally recuperate in order to quickly return to the sport, as well as daily activity. In addition, students are strongly urged to stay away from technology. Similarly, the stimulated neurons can result in the prolonging of concussion symptoms, thus preventing the possibility of returning to play. Unfortunately, Concussions are a serious and frustrating injury that can damage team dynamics and strategies.