Up Top: High Five Guy Raises Spirits

Sarah Buchanan, Sports Editor

Cole Theieme '18 has spread the joy with high fives for all
Cole Thieme ’18 has spread the joy with high fives for all

SARAH BUCHANAN ’16

Chances are every person states the words, “Give me five”, “Up top”, or “Give me some skin” at least once a week. Considered an act of encouragement and excited feeling, the high five has been widely used among sports events, and congratulations of all types. According to wikipedia.com, the act is defined as “a hand gesture that occurs when two people simultaneously raise one hand each, about head-high, and push, slide, or slap the flat of their palm against the flat palm of the other person”. High fives have become an essential part of culture and provides support to others. This act has become especially prevalent in the Seattle Prep community this year when freshman Cole Thieme arrived.

Also recognized by his nickname, “High-Five Guy”, Thieme walks around campus on his way to class and offers anyone who passes by a high five. Although he did not implement this same deed at his middle school, St. Benedict’s in Wallingford, he has always kept a sunny attitude about life and gives off a ton of energy. When asked why he decided to pursue this act, “I’ve always enjoyed making people happy and getting a smile. I guess it’s just a way to make the best of my freshman year.”

Typically, students will respond to his offer by slapping his hand back or shy away. Thieme realizes the unusual encounters he creates with others but chooses to brush off any negativity that comes his way. He’s willing to take the criticism that comes his way because others don’t understand his amiable intentions. Thieme doesn’t rely on others to return the high five because he still enjoys the interaction: “Take it with a grain of salt” Thieme says about those who don’t return his high five.

One concern that arises from Thieme’s high fives is the issue of cold season and spreading germs around the school. However, he has yet to get sick this season. High fives and fist pumps transfer significantly less germs than hand shakes. According to Aberystwyth University in Wales, high fives are twenty times more hygienic than hand shakes. The time spent in contact with the other person is considerably shorter and reduces the risk of catching any diseases. So spread his spirit among the rest of the Prep community to hopefully brighten the day of each person at the school.