Athletes Outside of Prep : Helen Johnson

Helen Johnson (left) rows at a regatta for Pocock Rowing Center

Meghan Kearney, Prep Life Editor

Helen Johnson ’16, a member of the Pocock Rowing Center, is one of the many students at Prep that participates in the rapidly-expanding sport of crew. Earlier this month, she was kind enough to sit down with The Panther’s very own Meghan Kearney ’16 to discuss her role in the tightly-knit community of racing shells, regattas, and rainy mornings.

When did you start to row? The summer between 7th and 8th grade.

Why did you start to row? I did a summer camp and loved it. But I did the summer camp because I knew my friends older sister had gotten into a lot of prestigious colleges because of rowing.

Where do you row? Pocock Rowing Center

Why do you row? It’s a nice outlet for stress. I have never participated in any other sport that has come close to being able to relax me as much as rowing does.

What has your greatest accomplishment at crew been? Missing the podium by .01 seconds at Brentwood then winning second place in the same event at Northwest Junior Regionals, less than 3 weeks later. We put in some serious work.

What is the hardest thing about rowing? I think it is one of the most competitive environments that exists on the entire planet. It is hard to stay calm and manage the pressure that comes along with rowing.

What is the best thing about rowing? It makes you feel like such a stud.

What is a life lesson that crew has taught you? Just shut up and do it.

What are some of your personal goals surrounding crew? First and foremost, I would like to invent gloves that cover everything except the palm of your hand so that my (and other rowers’) fingers don’t freeze off. However, I also hope to compete in the A final at Junior Nationals by the time I graduate.

Did you like reading Boys in the Boat over the summer? Of course! Everyone got to read about rowing and see what it is really like. I think it opened people’s eyes about the sport. And even though it was the third time I’ve read it, it was just as exciting as the first.

You joined the Seattle Prep swim team this year. How has your experience on the Prep team been different from your experience on the crew team? When I row I sort of have two separate lives. I leave school every day and head to this whole other world that I am part of, and that no one I go to school with really understands. It was nice having just one world when I swam. It also brought a different definition of “team” to my attention. Because crew is very competitive and can sometimes be cut throat, it is hard to form very many genuine friendships. I have never experienced being on a team in such a kind and inclusive way as I have on SPST.

If someone were about to start rowing, what is some advice you could offer them? Buy wool socks. And athletic tape, but no pre-wrap.