Prep’s Secret Garden

Kate Delaney, Entertainment Editor

Everyone knows Kairos as Prep’s best kept secret, but that is because no one knows about the Global Justice Coalition garden. Only a select few students have experienced the beauty of the organic, self- grown produce just a short walk down Jesuit Hill. However, there have been signs of its existence, such as the seven tomatoes that were harvested earlier in the year and handed out to several lucky students, or the occasional sighting of the lone GJC member making the trek down the hill and disappearing into the bushes, water bottles in hand.

The idea for the garden came to life in Global Justice last year, and was seen through to the end by Mr. Lester and senior leaders Elise Fieder ’14 and Emma Johnson ’14. Seattle Prep already owned the space by the batting cages that the baseball team uses for practices, but nothing was being done with the surrounding area. It was overgrown, dirty, and full of trash. At the beginning of the summer, a group of students met at this spot and transformed it drastically. They weeded, built boxes for the produce, and planted sunflowers around the edge to brighten up the area. Among the plants planted were tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini. Throughout the summer it was tended by Elise and Emma, but the summer weather took a toll on the fragile plants and dried up the soil in late August and early September. Now that the rainy season has taken over, the plants will hopefully flourish and make a comeback.

The purpose of the garden is to create awareness about locally grown food and hopefully bring Prep students closer to the realities of many people in Seattle. So far the garden has not fulfilled its intended purpose.

GJC co-leader Helen Johnson ‘16, has high hopes for the future of the garden. “The eventual goal is to include all Prep students in the tending of the garden, and get people excited about service and locally grown food.”

Some future projects that involve the garden could be maintaining the cleanliness of the surrounding area, painting over the graffiti on the boxes, and planting new plants in the spring. “The success of this garden depends on the help of the Prep community.” says Johnson. “GJC meets on Tuesdays at lunch in room M207, come ready to change the world, all are welcome.”