Listen Up Prep Students, Here are Tips on Getting the Perfect Summer Job!

Soliana Fishatsion, Staff Writer

Summer jobs are a great way to earn a bit of extra cash during the summer break, but the challenge is getting the job. The local McDonalds is always open, or a large chain retail company at the mall but 15 dollars an hour just isn’t going to cut it. So here are some high paying jobs for 15-year-olds and older:

1. Library Assistant at a Seattle Public Library
  2. Work at MoPop or a local museum for a Student Program
  3. Be a Lifeguard at a local pool
  4. Work at your Country Club!
  5. Be a Camp Counselor for the local community center.
  6. Be a Teen Peer Advocate at King County
  7. Work as a youth Sport Umpire/referee for a sports club like Seattle United.

Online resources can also be helpful when job searching like Indeed. Surprisingly, the Seattle Public Library has tons of resources for teens and can introduce jobs. Friends and family are also amazing ways to find more options. Personally, I got my summer job because my cousin recommended her job as a caddie and encouraged me to apply. Now you’ve chosen the job, how can you increase the chances of getting it?

Well, differentiating yourself is key in your job application or interview. Don’t gush over the intuition when applying, the interviewer doesn’t need praises about the water quality of the YMCA pools. So be friendly, and when the interviewer asks questions, reciprocate it. Ask them questions too and get a friendly connection with them (for casual jobs!!). When applying to jobs, make sure they center around your interests, or if you’d be the target employee for that job. For example, if one is trying to be a camp counselor, they would make sure that job would fit with their personality. Do they work well with kids? Do they have a friendly and enthusiastic persona? Do they have traits that are good attributes when working with kids? These are questions to ask when applying a to a summer job.

High schoolers don’t have an extensive resume surrounding work experience, but one can make up for the lack of experience by improving their resume by volunteering at Prep, in the community, charities, etc., so they can gain experience working with people and show an employer that they’re a kind person that’ll go above and beyond and could be a nice addition to the workplace.

Another tip would be to make connections! Don’t be afraid to connect with the Prep community and ask peers or teachers about job options. Also, don’t forget to ask friends and family if they run a business that needs an extra hand, or if cousins and friends work somewhere. Asking them for a recommendation can really increase the chances of getting that job.

Ultimately, it’s all trial and error. So, apply for tons of jobs and a great one will find you. Good luck!