Meet Prep’s 2023-2024 ASB Executive Team

Senior ASB members Alison Choi, Matthew Kennedy, Blen Assegid, and Elena Lovejoy (pictured on phone)

Audrey Cromett, Staff Writer

Seniors Matt Kennedy, Alison Choi, Elena Lovejoy, and Blen Assegid are Seattle Prep’s 2023-2024 Senior ASB executives. Kennedy and Choi bring a combined six years of ASB experience while Lovejoy and Assegid will come in with new perspectives and ideas to ensure that next years ASB will be the best one yet.

Kennedy ’24 has been and ASB officer since his freshman year and stated that he is, “beyond excited to serve as Seattle Prep’s ASB President.” Overall, he hopes to “create a culture in which everyone feels loved and valued” and where the student body is, “truly living up to Prep’s mission statement that God may be found in all things and that each person is sacred.”

Kennedy’s agenda is both small scale and large scale. First, he wants to make sure that everyone feels included whether that is saying hi to someone in the halls or inviting someone to sit together at lunch. Second, Kennedy wants to work with his peers to create more events on top of assemblies, dances, and Olympic Week. He hopes to be remembered as a nice guy, but more importantly he stated, “I want next year to be the year that people who have been at Prep for multiple years or generations, get the sense that post COIVD, we [Prep] are back.”

Choi ’24 is best known for her infectious school spirit and positive attitude. She hopes to bring these qualities to Prep through raising participation in assemblies, sports, clubs, and other extracurriculars. Ever since COVID-19 struck, she has felt that the Seattle Prep community has not be as tight knit as it once was. Because of this, Choi stated, “I want to bring our community together since our grades were separated after COVID.”

Elena Lovejoy ’24 has been an active member in the Seattle Prep community. She has been a member of the girls’ basketball program, girls’ soccer program, track, musicals, multiple clubs, and peer mentorship. Lovejoy stated that she hopes that “everyone will be more connected whether that be cheering at games or going to musicals because Prep’s community can be even more enthusiastic and welcoming than it already is.”

Her main goal, however, is similar to Kennedy in that she wants to help people be ready to have fun and approach events like assemblies or service with an open mind since they are such a large part of being a Panther. On top of all that, she also happens to be the daughter of librarian and ASB advisor, Mrs. Lovejoy, so being an ASB member is already in her blood!

Blen Assegid was elected to the Seattle Prep ASB for the first time after running and campaigning all four years. She, like the three other ASB members, stated, “I want to create a closer and more active community at Prep. I want to make next year a very memorable one.”

Assegid has continually shown that she wants to play a key role in the leadership team at Seattle Prep, and next year she will finally be able to do that. When asked what she hopes her legacy as a Seattle Prep ASB would look like, she said, “I want to be remembered as someone who was an advocate for everyone. I am open to any ideas from anybody and seeing them come to life in our school would be amazing!”