Peace Studies: Creating a More Peaceful World

Seniors have large and small group discussions about The Sunflower, a narrative that recounts the experience of a Holocaust survivor and explores the limits and possibilities of forgiveness.

Keira Munko, Staff Writer

Part of Prep’s mission is to send students out into the world to create a more peace and just world. The senior seminar Peace Studies works to carry out this mission by inspiring students to become peacebuilders by teaching them about healthy ways to address conflict. “How, as we encounter conflicts in our own lives, can we engage in a healthy way with the conflict so we’re not adding towards the violence in our world, but we’re using those conflicts for peacebuilding.” Said Fr. Rallanka, co-teacher of the seminar.

Peace Studies looks at the multi-disciplinary ways to approach peacebuilding. It addresses cultural and structural injustices and violence by looking at tangible ways to move forward. “It provides that kind of hope for the future through specific ways rather than just feeling overwhelmed, like there’s nothing as an individual I can do to make the world better.” Said Ms. Healy, co-teacher of the seminar.

The scale of peacebuilding can range from someone’s own family and relationships to the world as a whole. Students in Peace Studies not only look at peace on a global scale, but at what peace looks like in their own lives and communities. The class is also directly tied to Seattle Prep’s mission; “If we’re trying to send into the world transformational leaders that are going to create a more just world, I think that aligns very much with how you do that.” Said Ms. Healy.

Peace Studies works to inspire students to continue being peacebuilders once they leave Prep. Students can use what they learn in the class to make an impact in the world. “I just kind of imagine that each and every one of them from the class has the potential to go out into the world and make a positive change.” Said Fr. Rallanka.

No amount of peacebuilding is insignificant, even the smallest amount is meaningful. “Each of us has a role in being peacebuilders,” said Ms. Healy, “every person has a role and a responsibility to be a peacebuilder in wherever they end up in the world.”