Puyallup Fair Offers Scones, Rides, Fun to Sophs

Paul Winebrenner, Staff Writer

PAUL WINEBRENNER ’17

August 11 2014. Fair day for the fortunate sophomores. No classes going to the fair, paired admission, freedom, no food limit, no restrictions, pure fun, if the rides would open.

Arriving at 9:45 am on four buses at the green gate, sophomores waited outside for 15 minutes until they we’re let in. They wandered the fair for 45 minutes eating, laughing, talking and generally waiting impatiently for rides and games to open. Elephant ears, fisher scones and fried butter were dietary staples.

Shade was a much sought after commodity as the sun glared down on students and teachers alike. Cold beverages like slurpees and ice cream were necessary to regulate body temperature. Chocolate chips in cookie melted and water evaporated rapidly. When rides opened at 12 o’clock, there was a mad scramble at the extreme scream, spinning machine, and several roller coasters. Unfortunately, due to long lines at most rides several students only rode 1 ride. However the games were almost line free and several prizes were awarded including foam bananas, inflatable hammers, and 1 very large bear. Popular games included baseball tossing, basketball shooting, throwing bean bags at balloons and other arcade games.

Sophomore Marnell Ramirez exclaimed, “The extreme scream was definitely the most interesting ride available.”

The overall Sophomore reaction was that missing a Thursday was an excellent idea even if the fair was not quite as advertised. Henna was applied and prizes given out in abundance as nearly all walked away with at least one. Finding food that didn’t break the budget was a problem but deals were to be found in the more remote parts if the fair and at the famous Fisher Scone booths.