Starbucks Sells Holiday Cheer in a Cup

Paloma Hissong, Staff Writer

The love and adoration Seattleites have for Starbucks is indisputable—and students at Prep can’t get enough of it. On November 3rd, the stores cheerfully transformed to mark the official launch of the holiday season at Starbucks. Many Starbucks-lovers would say the most exciting part of the holiday launch is the changes to the menu, but many also appreciate the newly decorated cups, red barista aprons, and holiday-themed signage and decorations.

The most popular seasonal drinks are the sugar cookie latte, peppermint mocha, and toasted white chocolate mocha. Part of Starbucks’ success—especially amongst Prep students—is how customizable these drinks have become. Many holiday drinks tend to be sweet, but simply changing the number of pumps of flavored syrup will make the drinks suit to each students’ taste.

“I usually do a peppermint mocha with almond milk and then I get only one pump of the mocha and two pumps of the peppermint so it’s not as sweet,” Amelie Burrows ’23 said.

Also, the Starbucks “secret menu” is still alive and well. Customers can ask for the non-displayed Santa Claus Frappuccino and most baristas will know to make a vanilla bean Frappuccino with strawberry swirl. The peppermint mocha latte can also be made as a Frappuccino. When in doubt, a quick Google-search will provide numerous “secret menu” drink options.

New drinks are not the only items Starbucks added to their seasonal menu. The chain has also introduced holiday cookies, pastries, and cake-pops. “The peppermint reindeer cake pop is so good,” Sophomore Delaney Meehan said. “I love the peppermint hot chocolate.”

Prep students—especially upperclassmen who can venture off-campus for lunch—are loyal and frequent customers to the Starbucks on Eastlake. Now, with so many new drinks and food items, this Starbucks location will likely be even more popular.

Senior Maya Bransier said, “I was so excited for Starbucks to launch the Christmas drinks because it really just gets me in the holiday spirit.”