Panthers Prepare for Spring Sports

Ava Pitts, Staff Writer

Even though winter sports just started, spring sports teams are already preparing for their time to compete. Lacrosse, track and field, baseball, softball, crew, boys’ soccer, and tennis are up for an exciting and competitive season ahead.

Girls’ lacrosse had a historic ending to last year’s season led by varsity head coach Cait Slack 08’. For the first time in over 15 years, they made it to the quarter-finals. Frances Hansot, Stella Hansot, Natalie Gemma, Clare Flynn, and Evelyn Clapp are the senior captains for this year. Captains’ practices started in mid-November and are set to continue throughout the winter season. Coaches aren’t allowed to attend these practices and they are led by the seniors. These practices are a great opportunity for freshmen to learn how to play or train before tryouts. Good luck to all girl’s lacrosse players as they prepare for tryouts in March!

The crew team had a successful fall season and has gone straight into their winter training season. The team does not compete during the winter but still has practice every day to train for the spring. Last year, for the first time in program history, the crew team won regionals and took 24 athletes to compete in Nationals. There, Claire Rulyak ’24 and Natalia Peng ’24 placed third in the nation.

“Winter season tests your commitment to the sport and is when we can work on ourselves in order to have the best performance for spring,” said Peng. “If we continue to show up and get 5% better every day, we are in for a fantastic spring season.”

The crew team has a promising and exciting season ahead and hopes to travel to Florida again in June to compete in Nationals.

Good luck to all the Panthers training or trying out for a spring sport this year!