Seattle Prep Ski Bus Offers Students Rides to the Slopes

Chloe Horner, Staff Writer

Looking to get some powder runs in this ski season? Sign up for Seattle Prep’s Ski Bus and enjoy a ride up to the mountain with your fellow ski-enthusiasts!

Students of all ages and skill levels are invited to sign up for Ski Bus, Prep’s round-trip shuttle program to and from Crystal Mountain. The Ski Bus is organized by a parent volunteer, Mr. Smiley Melder, and transports students and chaperones to the mountain on four Sundays throughout January and February. However, the program does not include lessons, so participants should have some prior ski or snowboard experience.

Taryn Beck ’25 described Crystal as having a good variety of runs. She adds that for snowboarders, like herself, some of the terrain can be more difficult. She said ski bus “was a great way to meet new people and hang out with friends while doing something I like!”

Buses depart Prep promptly at 7:00 AM and return around ­­­­6:00 PM. The bus ride is two hours and can be spent watching a movie, talking with friends, or everyone’s favorite: catching a few extra hours of sleep. Upon arrival at Crystal, students collect their gear from the bus, and head off to explore the mountain and have fun.

Crystal Mountain is the largest ski resort in Washington State, it has the most above-tree line terrain in the region, and its 11 chair lifts and 80 named runs provide variety for skiers and snowboarders of all ability.

At Crystal, students are welcome to go where they like, within the limits of the resort. Throughout the day, skiers can make their way to one of Crystal’s three lodges to purchase or eat their lunch and then continue “free-skiing” with a buddy.

Sophomore Mary Pelly shares she enjoys riding Crystal’s gondola with her friends. Like other Prep students, her favorite run is Green Valley, which is accessible by way of the gondola.

Last year, there were over 60 participants who rode together on two buses. Season-pass holders are welcome to sign up, and for students who need to buy lift-tickets, Prep offers a discount code for day-passes bought in advance. Depending on availability, Ski Bus may welcome walk-on participants who can join for one or two trips.

Crystal recently opened for the ‘22-23 season on November 18th, so sign up for Ski Bus and get ready to shred the gnar!