ASC Take on the New School Year

Hudson Patterson ’18 works with students. Patterson is one of four Alumni Service Corps members who will spend a year in service at Seattle Prep following college graduation in 2022.

Grace Rothrock, Staff Writer

With Prep kicking off another school year, that means meeting all the new faculty members. Each year, students get to know and love a group of Alumni Service Corps (ASC) members, who are alumni who return to the Prep community to teach their respective interests and give back to the school. This year, Prep welcomes four ASC members to the staff, Mr. Kalu Stricklin, Ms. Pray Shiferaw, Ms. Anasofia Gutierrez, and Mr. Hudson Patterson (all class of 2018).  

Each ASC this year offers a unique perspective to the school, participating in a wide variety of school activities, clubs, and classes. Patterson, a Yale grad and aspiring lawyer, is offering the mock trial and theater programs his unique mentoring abilities. According to him, “nothing can beat watching others fall in love with activities [he] loves so much.”  

Stricklin on the other hand, is assisting in athletics programs such as basketball and football, in addition to Video Production. The George Fox attendee and basketball player describes being back at his alma mater as “great because of the community that [he has] always loved,” but being on the other side is interesting as, “being with teachers and faculty members who once taught [him] are now [his] colleagues.” 

Gonzaga University alums, Shiferaw and Gutierrez are both enjoying the interaction with students. “I love high schoolers,” says Gutierrez, “I think it’s a really fun age and one that especially begs adaptability and bravery from teachers.” Both Shiferaw and Gutierrez have discovered a newfound respect for the hard work of teachers, as well as a fascination with the other side of high school. “It’s like pulling the curtain and watching the wizard who controls everything,” remarks Gutierrez.  

As for why they wanted to be a part of the ASC program, the answer is unanimous- each understood the gravity of Prep’s impact on their individual growth and felt inclined to help the community in some way. “I wanted to participate in the ASC program to give back to the school that gave me so much and helped me build my identity,” said Shiferaw.