School Year off to Strong Start Amidst Leadership Changes

Nick Pickel, Staff Writer

As the 2022-2023 school year begins, many students are left with questions about changes in leadership in the Dean of Students Office and the Office of Student Life. However faculty and staff is working together to juggle the new responsibilities.

Rich Stearns, Prep’s former Dean of Students since 2013, left Prep in the summer of 2022 to pursue a new position as head of school at Willows Preparatory School in Redmond. Andy Hendricks, long-time history teacher at Prep, learned about Stearns’ departure from Literature Teacher Chris Kiehn by means of a text message over the Summer. The following week, Hendricks was contacted by Principal Dr. Erin Luby, asking him if he would be willing to fill in the position of dean of students.

Hendricks accepted, under a certain condition. “I wanted to make sure that I was still teaching as much as I could,” said Hendricks, “So, I said [to Dr. Luby], ‘If you could find someone to take over student government, I’d be much more inclined to give up one class versus multiple classes.”

Librarian Katie Lovejoy has been ASB moderator for the junior and senior class officers for three years already, so Luby offered her the portion of Stearns’ position that had been ASB moderator, which she accepted. This has allowed Hendricks to remain a Junior Collegio and AP European History teacher while also taking on the task of being the acting Dean of Students.

Hendricks misses teaching Sophomore Collegio and the day-to-day interaction with students but has had a successful time filling in as dean so far. He has done things such as amending the dress code to include gender-neutral language, coordinating safety exercises such as fire drills, and working to address the implications of Prep being a Catholic school in today’s political environment. “The position here is to maintain a positive academic environment and to secure the safety and wellbeing of the students.”

Addressing a concern many students have about the seemingly new policy of two-hour JUG assignment, Hendricks explains, “JUG, in the midst of the pandemic, was deemphasized.” Two-hour JUG is assigned for truancy offenses and for those with multiple discipline issues, with Hendricks citing, “It’s back as a small reminder that we’re here for academics. It’s really hard to be here for academics if you’re not here.”

Lovejoy is enjoying her new position as ASB moderator, saying, “I expected things to be more hectic than they have been just because things changed so much, and we have so much new faculty, but it’s actually been pretty calm. The new staff are doing a good job in their new roles, meeting and figuring things out. It’s been busy, but I feel like there’s been a good, steady rhythm to the start of the school year.”

Lovejoy says that working with ASB this year has been a really good challenge so far and that she has a very nice group of kids that she gets to work with. “I’m learning a lot I love the enthusiasm, and it’s exciting moving from one event to the next and figuring things out as we go.”

She also believes that one of the reasons everything has worked out well so far is because “we have patient students to work with who also are working hard and everyone’s committed to making the school year a good one.”

Another challenge facing the administrative staff and Office of Student Life at Prep was the departure of Mike Kelly, former Assistant Principal for Student Life and Boys’ Basketball Coach. Amidst the staffing transitions last summer, Luby approached Christian Service Program Director William Liu, offering him the student life position, which he accepted.

“I’ve been interested in an admin role and this type of work with students. I think I have some good experience leading up to this year, and so I offered my assistance this year,” He mentioned.

Liu also has great things to say about how everything has been going so far, saying, “I think the school year has been off to a great start. There’s always something going on when it comes to student life, whether it’s athletics or any of our other extracurriculars with clubs and whatnot. I’m a big fan of supporting students in all their endeavors and celebrating their success here.”

Despite changes in leadership the school year is off to a great start, thanks to Prep students and those who have filled in the open positions and worked to ensure the greatest safety and success of the Prep community.