A Few Quick Hits On the Volleyball Program

Chloe Horner and Brooke Nowak

Teamwork, discipline, and friendship are just a few values that the Seattle Prep volleyball teams have acquired this season. Members of the program have been growing in skill, teamwork, and confidence and it shows through their successes. These student athletes have put in endless amounts of dedication and hard work to reach where they are now. This year, 40 freshmen tried out, and 15 made the initial roster. Volleyball has become increasingly popular at Prep, and, as a result, the team is dominant among other Metro League teams. So far, the varsity team has already played against Roosevelt, Kennedy Catholic, Eastside Catholic, West Seattle, Holy Names and rival school Bishop Blanchet.

For either a returning player or an enthusiastic freshman, the women’s volleyball program is influential in how it shapes the beginning of a new year at Prep. There are many benefits to playing a high school sport, especially competing for your school. Sports provide the opportunity to make new friendships, learn time management and leadership skills, and to represent your community.

A couple weeks into this season, JVC setter Alexa Zweifel ’26 explained she likes playing volleyball for Prep because, “It gives me a great sense of community and is a good way to follow your passion.” Many team members describe the environment similarly. It seems clear that the volleyball team has positive impacts on players of all ages.

Whether it has been four weeks or four years, volleyball has continued to impact many athletes. Varsity Captain, Jessica McDowall ’23, describes its effect on her Prep experience, “[volleyball] gave me upperclassmen to look up to and ask questions when I was younger, and now friendly faces to see in the halls. It helps me to mentor people and grow as a leader.”

According to many players, the volleyball community is described as encouraging, uplifting, and supportive. It is no surprise how impressive these student athletes have proven themselves to be. Volleyball has benefited so many girls socially, psychologically, and physically. The Seattle Prep student body is routing for these young women and can’t wait to see how this season progresses!