Music, Movie Clubs Catch Attention

Chaz Witter talks about Mac DeMarco’s “This Old Dog” during the second Album Club meeting.

Paloma Hissong, Staff Writer

The Club Fair is a yearly occurrence on Prep’s plaza, giving club leaders a chance to set up tables and share information about their clubs in hopes of getting new student sign-ups. A few new clubs caught the school’s attention by displaying posters at the Club Fair this year.

One of this year’s new clubs is Album Club, founded by juniors Chaz Witter and Basil Kounellas. Witter has a strong interest in music and was inspired by Mr. Liu, the Assistant Principal for Student Life, to start a club that celebrated that. Witter said, “I’ve always loved music. I wanted a place where I and people who share the same passion with me could discuss what we love.”

Each meeting, the club members vote on an album to listen to. Then it is each member’s job to listen to that album on their own time so they can discuss it as a group the next time they meet. Witter added, “Once the club has a few meetings under our belt we will try to do some music-related activities outside of school – like concerts or going to record stores.”

Other clubs at Prep allow students to create music (through instruments, singing, etc.), but this one is unique in that it focuses on simply appreciating music that already exists.

Another new club that was spotted at the Club Fair is Kino, a film appreciation club. Senior leaders Roan Garces and Alden Arnold are passionate about film and cinema and wanted to create a community for people who shared those interests.

When asked what inspired the name of this club, Garces explained, “Kino is German for movie theater, but it is slang used among film fans to describe a very good or profound movie.”

Garces and Arnold draft a few choices for films, and the club gets to vote on which will be watched. Garces added that they try to choose movies that most students would not have already seen, so the club can experience new kinds of films together.

Music and movie lovers now have two new outlets to explore those interests. Clubs are integral to the sense of community present on Prep’s campus, and the school is fortunate to have creative people working to create new clubs each year.