Teachers in the Summer Sun

Meghan McLaughlin, Editor-in-Chief

Late August, the very cherished time when both students and teachers alike return to another school year, fresh faced and ready to learn from one another. But what happened in that gap between June and August? Students know what their peers did, but no one stops to question, what did our own educators spend their time off doing? Maybe they were spotted hanging around campus mid-summer for whatever reason, or someone claims they vaguely recognized one of them at the grocery store, but when the pencils are down and the papers filed away, what do they do? The Seattle Prep Panther went undercover and got the real facts: what teachers do when they’re not being teachers.

With the new building growing closer and closer to completion, a lot teachers will be sticking around school to assist with getting Prep settled into Adelphia Memorial Hall. A couple thousand books do not move themselves to say the least. As Mr. Hendricks put it, “I don’t know if you noticed, but there’s a new building being built, so I’m helping with that. I will be taking three weeks off in August, though.”

On a smaller scale, Mr. Hendricks will also be doing a little remodeling to his house.

Even though Ms. Tordillos will not be on campus consistently over the summer, she will continue with her academic endeavors in science, working with scientists at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. In addition to attending some of her friends’ weddings, she will also be planning her own.

After the last of the yearbooks are handed out and signed, Mr. Danielson will spend his summer with his family. Playing tennis, hiking around, and the usual tech stuff is not even half of the events that he has planned for this summer.

While many teachers remain close to home, others will travel far away, or, in some cases, to another abode. Like Frau does every summer, she will head back to Germany. On her trip, she will get to visit with friends and family she does not normally get the chance to see on a regular basis like she does her wonderful students. She looks forward to Kieler Woche, or the world’s largest sailing event held in Frau’s hometown.

These teachers’ plans are only a sampling of the activities Prep teachers partake in throughout the summer months. Contrary to popular belief, from the research, the consensus is that teachers anticipate the start of summer just as much as students do.