Burgers for a Cause

Natalia Peng

Sophomores Brock Tuminello (center) and Natalia Peng (right) at their summer fundraising barbeque.

Ava Pitts, Staff Writer

As summer came to a close, many Prep students spent weekends enjoying the sun and barbecuing with friends, but one event stands out  On August 29th, Brock Tuminello ‘24 and Natalia Peng ‘24 joined several of their Prep friends to host a barbecue fundraiser for the Run of Hope.

Run of Hope is a pediatric brain tumor research organization. Hosted at the Tuminello home, the fundraiser offered 100 burgers to all family and friends who showed up for the cause. A line of Prep students worked behind the grill to keep the plates flowing. People poured into  the backyard to enjoy the sunny afternoon while doing something good in the process.  The idea was to harness my pursuit of the “perfect burger” and raise money and awareness in the process. What started as a small idea first ended up being a huge success,” says Brock ‘24.

Natalia and Brock are well-known  for their acts of service among friends and their community. Over the years, they have volunteered at the University Food Bank, sold lemonade to their neighbors for different charities,  and even zoomed with a Special Olympics athlete during COVID . “We have always been into volunteering and giving back on our own time,” says Natalia ’24. “Its really satisfying to see the numbers and the difference we can make.”

By the end of the day, the event sold over 100 burgers and raised over $7,800. “We were all completely exhausted and over the moon when we served the last burger and were blown away by the fact that we raised nearly eight thousand dollars for this year’s Run of Hope,” says Brock ‘24. The incredible success of the barbecue fundraiser is something to remember.