Back to School, Time to Celebrate

Sophia Magnano, Staff Writer

Although fall for most students and teachers means back to school, for some it also means celebrating important holidays which center around renewal, forgiveness, community, and food. In the secular world, many think about these concepts more in January, the calendar New Year. As the new school year begins, there is a lot to be learned from these fall holidays in September and October.  

Paryushana starts September off as the first holiday, from September 4th-11th. Paryushana, a Jainist holiday is a Festival of Forgiveness and a time of study, reflection, and purification. Paryushana means “abiding” or “coming together”. The website Pluralism, describes the tradition of eating plain foods or fasting to cleanse and purify and then breaking the fast with a festive meal. In addition to the feast, Paryushana also culminates with confessing and asking for forgiveness from others.   

Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are two Jewish holidays that fell this year on September 6th-8th and September 15th-16th, respectively. Rosh Hashana marks the start of the Jewish New Year and Yom Kippur concludes the 10-day period of repentance between the two holidays, also known as the Days of Awe. For Jews, this is a time of self-examination and penitence. According to Jewish belief, on Rosh Hashanah, your fate is written, and on Yom Kippur your fate is sealed, meaning you have ten days to change the final decree. But how do you change in merely a week? One must reflect on wrong doings, apologize to others, and ask for forgiveness. Many Jews go to synagogue on both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur and listen to the shofar (a rams’ horn) which is blown as an awakening at the beginning of Rosh Hashanah and the end of Yom Kippur. As for food, the tradition is to eat sweet foods for a sweet New Year, such as honey and apples. A big dinner is held on the night that Rosh Hashanah starts and the concluding dinner is held on the last day of Yom Kippur, after a 26 hour fast from sundown to sundown (no food, water, cooking, operating machinery, to separate yourself from ordinary daily activity, etc.). Ben Burman ‘25, reported, “My favorite tradition on Rosh Hashanah is the blowing of the shofar and on Yom Kippur it is the huge break fast meal.” 

Burman reflected that while this remote year was a bit different, he was still able to attend services on Yom Kippur (and fast) and was happy to have accomplished that even though that meant no large dinners with friends.  

Following Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are three lesser, known Jewish holidays, Sukkot, Shemini Atzeret, and Simchat Torah, celebrated this calendar year on September 20th-27th, 27th-29th, and 28th-29th. These holidays celebrate autumn and harvest. Sukkot starts off this chain of holidays, recalling the days the Israelites lived in huts (sukkots) during their years of wandering after the exodus from Egypt. Shemini Atzeret provides time to pray for rain after the harvest and summer. However, the real climax of these holidays is Simchat Torah which marks the annual Torah conclusion and restarts the Torah readings. As on most Jewish holidays, simple prayers and blessings are said over candles. Throughout these holidays Jews celebrate with a daily festive meal and are not meant to work, drive, write, or use electronic devices.  

This year the Islamic holiday, Arba’een, is celebrated on the 27th-28th of September. The day of Arba’een marks 40 days after the Day of Ashura, the day Hussain ibn Ali died. Hussain ibn Ali was a 7th-century revolutionary leader who sacrificed his life for social justice and the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad. To remember his sacrifice, Muslims from all over Iraq journey on foot to Karbala, where Hussain and his companions were beheaded and martyred. This holiday brings together a community of up to 45 million people in the city of Karbala to honor Hussain.  

In October, Pitru Paksha, a Hindu holiday is celebrated from September 20th – October 6th this year. This holiday is during a lunar phase, during which Hindus pray and make offerings to the souls of their ancestors for peace. Food is not only offered to the souls of their ancestors but also dogs, cows, and crows because it is believed they reach their ancestors in their deceased and provides their ancestors’ happiness. Hindus offer food, water, and clothing to their ancestors on Pitru Paksha is a way of paying off karmic debt according to India Times.   

Immediately following Pitru Paksha is another Hindu holiday Navratri (also known as Navaratri or Durga Puja), celebrated from October 7th-15th this year. Navratri is the celebration of good over evil and honors the divine feminine. Navratri ends with Dussehra. Both Navratri and Dussehra are celebrated uniquely throughout different regions of India. For example, for many this is a time for religious reflection and fasting, for others, it is a time for dancing and feasting. The festivals focus on three Goddesses, Durga, Lakshmi, and Sarasvati according to Hindu Times and Britannica 

Mawlid, an Islamic holiday is celebrated towards the end of October from the 18th-19th this year. It commemorates the birth date of the holy figure, Prophet Muhammed in the Islamic religion, celebrating with songs, poems, prayers, decorating cities, handing out candy, and joining parades are just some examples according to Ibt Times.  

Last but not least, Halloween, on October 31st. Seattle Prep will host an afternoon concert of fall-based solos, duets, and choral ensemble performances. It’s never too early to start thinking about costumes! Following the night of Halloween, into November, is All Saints Day. On November 1st, All Saints Day is celebrated by Roman Catholics and other Christians around the world. All Saints Day honors all the Saints of the church deemed to have attained a place in heaven.  

In short, while many are focusing on going back to school in September, many of the great religions of the world focus on rededication at this time of year. These themes of course are not mutually exclusive. Many of the values in these holidays celebrate concepts of renewal and self-improvement that are good to keep in mind as the new school year begins.