Virtual Learning Ends With Exception of Async Days

Ginger Doran and Anna Roberts

Although virtual learning is a thing of the past now, and Prep students are happy to be back to regular in-person classes, some aspects of hybrid learning have stuck around. One of the most noticeable of being asynchronous days.

The Prep administration currently has four asynchronous planned for this school year - September 29th (A Day), November 17th (A Day), December 1st (B Day), and March 23rd (A Day).  All of these can be found on Prep’s online calendar and student planners.

When asked the purpose of having asynchronous days this year, Ms. Kheriaty, the Assistant Principal for Academics, gave three main reasons. The first being that Kheriaty believes that “teachers and students developed really valuable skills last year in continuing teaching and learning even when we weren’t together on campus” and anticipates that “we will continue to need to use these on occasion in the future”. The asynchronous days will allow students to refamiliarize themselves with the procedures and skills to manage virtual learning so that if the need arises again, students will be ready. The administration team also received a large amount of positive feedback from parents and students as to the many benefits of asynchronous days. Students appreciated how they were allowed to rest and take a step back from their busy schedules by working at their own pace.

On top of this, there is another reason for incorporating asynchronous days into the school year. Seattle Prep is renewing our institutional accreditation, which, as stated by Kheriaty, involves Prep participating in the “Jesuits West Sponsorship Review process”. These processes involve every teacher and faculty member and demand a great amount of time to complete. While students are learning from home at their own pace, teachers and staff will be reflecting and collaborating on the curriculum and working to complete the processes.

The question of, if the occasional asynchronous day will be included in future school years is still up in the air; however, Ms. Kheriaty revealed that “it’s hard to say for certain what our calendar will look like in future years. However, I anticipate we will continue to use some of the remote learning skills we’ve developed on occasion. That may come in the form of async days in the future or maybe done in other formats”. The inclusion of asynchronous days in future calendars also depends on the success of the up-coming async days. While Seattle Prep is done with Virtual Learning, it appears that asynchronous days will be sticking around this year.