How Do Students Really Feel as They Transition Back to School?

Paloma Hissong, Staff Writer

As much as students cherish summer break, most still get very excited as school begins. Especially considering the abnormality of last year, students were eager to return to campus in a way that felt somewhat normal this fall. But the quick and drastic transition from laid-back summer days to the start of another school year can often be overwhelming for students. Many students have begun to feel tired and worn out from longer days, academic rigor, social stress, or intense sport schedules.

Junior Kate Diefendorf labeled academic workload as the most stressful part of the back-to-school transition. She said, “Not knowing what school would be like was very stressful… but once school started and we got back in the swing of things, at least for junior who knows things pretty well, it’s been fine.”

There is bound be to be difficulties during any period of change, and coming back to full-time, in-person school after a year of virtual learning is no exception. Mr. Johnston, a counselor and science teacher for Seattle Prep, said, “the past year and a half have posed mental health challenges for so many people, so we have to pay very close attention to how this new school year is impacting students as they return in person.” Johnston also encourages “getting enough sleep, exercise, and good food” as a way to help alleviate stress and anxiety.

Prep’s fun, community activities like the back-to-school dance and assembly, Friday night football games, and the all-school mass in the plaza have definitely helped to keep spirits high amongst students. Diefendorf said, “The back-to-school dance and assembly made the transition back to school so much fun. It really boosted the overall morale of the school [and] gave you something to look forward to.”

Counselors, teachers, and students are all conscious of the challenges that have come with returning to school this fall, but they have also experienced so much of what everyone was missing last year. Most would confirm that the early mornings, tiring sport competitions, and occasional late night study sessions have been well worth the chance to see friends, teachers, coaches, and peers in-person this fall.