Where Are They Now: Greg Nickels

Tessa Winkelhake, Photo and Graphics Editor

In the past, Seattle Prep has produced many successful and well known, prominent people in our society. One alumni, former Mayor of Seattle Greg Nickels took the time to reflect on his time at Prep and  how it helped him get to where he is today:

Tessa Winkelhake: Where did you go to college? 
Greg Nickels: The University of Washington
TW:What was you best memory at Seattle Prep? 
GN:Freshman English with Mr. Steven Kuder, SJ & Interning for the Washington State Young Democrats as my Senior Year Independent Study Project
TW: How did Prep prepare you for life outside of school? 
GN: Prep taught me how to think critically, something very important in the career path I chose.
TW: What made you get into politics?
GN: I got active in politics when I was 16 and still at Prep and discovered a passion for it. I was fortunate enough to have a series of experiences that helped me discover my voice and how politics is an exceptional avenue for creating positive change.
TW: In your  job as mayor there is a lot public speaking. Do you feel Seattle Prep did a good job to prepare you for this?
GN: I was involved (briefly) in debate and I started a Young Democrats club while at Prep, these experience did help me feel more comfortable with public speaking.
TW: What is your biggest accomplishment since graduating from Prep? 
GN: I worked for 22 years (as a County Council member and Mayor) to create a mass transit system for Metropolitan Seattle. The first 13 stations opened while I was Mayor and I passed the funding for an $18 Billion expansion that is now under construction.
TW: Name a few fun and enjoyable activities that you like to do today. 
GN: I am an historian and genealogist. I learned my love of history while a student at Prep.
TW: Do any Jesuit sayings or beliefs still impact you today? If so which ones? 
GN: Not so much sayings but the Jesuit tradition of valuing education. The foundation I gained at Prep is part of who I am even today.
TW: What is one piece of advice you would give to a student after graduating from high school? 
GN: Find your passion (as I did with politics) and follow it!