Seattle Prep Students Ranting and Raving about the Presidential Election Campaign

Beni Jurion, Managing Editor

Every four years American’s brace themselves for a presidential election. A time where politicians have scathing debates, powerful speeches, malicious insults, and vehement defenses. In addition, their loyal supporters’ plant political signs in their yards and have dinner time political arguments with a strange uncle. These are just a few of the many different election campaign rituals that every citizen must undergo. This year, two tenacious political characters with widely different campaigning strategies, have resulted in many Americans having strong opinions about the political campaign so far. Prep students are no exception to these strong opinions, and so below are some of these student’s perspectives:

Rants:

“Trump and Biden are barely actually talking about their plans for America, so it is just a smear campaign on their opponents!”

• RS

“Biased media coverage, one-sides town halls, censoring of reports and opinions by big tech makes learning and therefore creating an honest opinion very difficult. Plus, candidates not focusing on their own platform such refusal to press out inconsistent answers from packing the court and whether things like the Green New Deal, socialized healthcare or fracking makes it difficult for me to learn why I should vote for someone.

Plus, some of our yard signs were stolen which is saddening that people can’t tolerate opposing views. :(”

• MT

“I would say that it’s a little disheartening that the candidates aren’t being as considerate as they should. Furthermore, the fact that the American public isn’t getting straight answers on questions concerning racism, healthcare and climate change is very saddening and makes me disappointed”

• PK

“I am really disappointed in the election as a whole, as it is turning basic humans’ rights issues into a political argument. I think that we need to choose what is the best for our country based on equality, justice, and basic rights.”

• EG

“The two candidates’ campaign like a high school girl in a stereotypical high school movie would for prom queen – by trying to tear down the opponent with insults and false claims. The debate was filled unpresidential-like interruptions, and worst of all, their sheep-like supporters LOVE it!”

• SW

Rave:

“I absolutely love how Biden chose Harris to be his VP. Where Biden is weak, Harris is strong. They may not agree on everything, but compromise is a truly powerful thing!”

• SW

“Honestly, I’m just glad it’ll be over with. I would hope by January there will be less COVID, violence, disagreement and shaming.”

• MT

“It’s been an entertaining roller coaster ride of important things and face-palming.”

• RB

“Although this year’s election has been pretty extreme, it is just something that we must live with.”

• GM

Our next topic will be

Zoom Breakout Rooms

Have a strong opinion about this topic? In a couple sentences, send in your Rant or Rave about the topic to @seapreppanther on Instagram for the chance to be published in the next issue!

The Panther reserves the right to edit for length and content.