The Finals Countdown

Seattle Prep semester one final exams run January 21-24th

Sarah Buchanan, Sports Editor

Seattle Prep semester one final exams run January 21-23rd

The most wonderful time of the year, finals week, is approaching quickly. With only a few crucial days of studying left, it’s important to remember the most efficient and effective ways to review content.

The first step to studying is to plan out an accurate representation of a schedule, using priority for certain classes over others. Make sure to add plenty of breaks into this schedule plan. Despite what most people think, cramming is not always the answer. Rather, study in increments of 20-50 minutes and add 5-10 minute breaks. Reviewing for hours will only wear you out. Studying is a marathon, and one needs to pace themselves.

Every marathon runner could tell you that what you consume is also an important factor in your performance during the race. Just as an athlete might eat healthy food geared toward their specific sport, someone studying for finals can eat “brain food” to assist in memorizing matter being studied. Foods such as yogurt, nuts, seeds, blueberries or fish are excellent options. Another tactic to help students studying for final exams is participating in 20 minutes of cardio each day. Studies have been shown that doing this outside is even better and allows fresh air to go into the lungs. But if one does not want to face the cold winter weather, simply dancing to your favorite song (or Mozart, which can help students remember learning material because of the fast paced, 60 BPM meter) and doing some jumping-jacks can help stimulate brain activity. Make sure to drink plenty of water to also help the brain reach its’ full potential.

When the time comes to buckle down and get to work, the area for studying should be organized to the person’s preference. Having room to spread out papers and sort out thoughts can help when recalling material learned in the semester. Categorizing and creating flow charts can also assist in bringing to mind the content during the test. While looking back on notes, also consider reviewing past tests. Mr. Hardy explained that teachers often use the same questions and formats for final exams.

Asking for help from teachers is always beneficial, as well. Mrs. Hooper suggests study groups to help explain and discuss the topics being tested.

Also, sophomore Keane Collin’s personal favorite way to study is cry and eat cake. Hey whatever works!!

The most important concept to remember while studying for finals is that they are not life or death situations. Keeping the exams in perspective and maintaining a positive attitude will allow students to come into the test feeling confident. Take some deep breaths and imagine acing that examine.