Lauren Beninger Rides into Victory

Meghan McLaughlin, Editor-in-Chief

As the Prep community is preoccupied with the current sports season or the next school activity, there is also a number of students who compete in sports outside of school. One student in particular is sophomore Lauren Beninger ’16. Rather than playing a sport for Prep, she devotes her time to horseback riding. Although many people do not consider horseback riding an official sport, horseback riding takes an immense amount of focus, dedication, and competitiveness.

Beninger ’16 has been horseback riding for nine years, since she was just seven years old. Of those nine years, she has been showing regionally and beyond for six years. She is now an elite member of the Appaloosa Horse Club. This high status position was only accomplished with the numerous achievements Beninger ’16 has earned. A belt buckle is a form of award in the equestrian world, of which Beninger ’16 has attained nine. In addition to belt buckles, trophies, and ribbons, Beninger ’16 has also received three National Championships in 13-15 Hunter Under Saddle and Showmanship. For two years now, Beninger ’16 has been attending Nationals held in Texas. Nationals are consistently a key motivator for her to continue her training and her ultimate goal is to win an all-around high point.

In preparation for Nationals, the regular routine for Beninger includes six to seven regional shows a year in the Northwest that often take place at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds or the Tacoma Unit. In these shows, Beninger ’16 rides with her two horses, Olive and Indy. Olive is six years old and has been with Beninger ’16 since March. She is for equitation, or doing patterns while showing. Indy is only three and Beninger ’16 has had him for about a year. He is skilled in English riding or flatwork, but is currently being trained for jumps. Beninger’s ’16 favorite part about riding is the bond she forms with the horses.

The bonds aren’t only formed with the horses, but with the teammates and trainers as well. Because riding is a year-round activity, the team remains close, especially since it does not change unless someone leaves for college. The youngest member of Beninger’s ’16 team at Capstone Farm in Redmond is seven years old and looks up to the older riders. Beninger ’16 says “Having a lot of influence on her makes me want to be a better person.”

Beninger’s ’16 commitment to horseback riding is admirable and goes to show that while Prep sports are just as outstanding, there is something noteworthy in those that participate in such activities outside the Prep community.