Prep Library Becomes Cafeteria Hot Spot

Tia Flores, Staff Writer

After the lengthy snow days, some Prep classes are slightly behind on schedule and some students are struggling to keep up. As a result, Prep’s administration officially decided to add another cozy lunch spot at Prep to help keep students focused on their classes. The location of HQ4? Prep’s own McKay Library.

“The cozy vibe of this reading room was a central factor in choosing a new place for students to eat their lunch,” says school President, Mr. Hickey. “I always see students being productive in there… why can’t they increase that productivity to by adding brain food?” Also, a recent study by Bibliotheque University concluded that students who eat and socialize in a room surrounded by books immensely increased their test scores that compared to students who just ate in a cafeteria. “When I read this, I knew I just had to make our library another eating spot. In fact, I’m thinking about adding bookshelves to our cafeteria and Commons to enhance student’s learning experience,” adds Hickey.

And so, after a long history of the no food and drink policy, the library is now open for students to eat whenever they feel the urge to. “We already feed student’s brains, might as well feed their hungry stomachs!” exclaims Mrs. Borgen to the news. “As long as you clean up and don’t damage the resources, you’re welcome to chill in here,” says Mrs. Lovejoy.

The librarian’s desks will have a button that when pushed, it will turn into a food serving station similar to the one in the cafeteria. The normal entrees, as well as the new addition of a rotating build-your-own taco and acai bowl stations will be served here. Prep is also adding a large Kombucha vending machine in the library for health-conscious and trendy teens and a hot tea/hot chocolate vending machine to help students de-stress.

At the tables, each student must get a compostable placemat to put under their food to prevent critters from invading the room. “We want students to experience Prep’s learning additions to the fullest, but we don’t want to deal with any unwanted guests at our school,” says Mr. Stearns. “Just remember to clean up after yourselves!”

If you find yourself eating in the library, don’t forget to thank the snow days and the staff who made it possible!