Seattle Prep Takes on State

Maddie Deasy, Staff Writer

This fall the sports scene here at Prep was full of nail biting games, close races, and intense practices all leading up to the challenge test, the state tournament. Prep’s appearance in state tournaments this year was extremely prominent with the girls soccer team, girls volleyball team, the boys football team, members of the boys cross country team, members of the boys golf team, and members of the swim and dive team making it into the state tournament for their relative sport. Entrance into the state tournament is exceptional in itself but Prep sports like the girl’s swim and dive team definitely made a splash in the competition. The 400 IM relay had an exciting season that eventually led up to their entry into state.

The girls soccer team had a fantastic season as well which allowed them to enter the state tournament as a 2nd seed. The panther ladies defeated Stadium High school with a statement victory of 4-1. They then lost in a close 2-1 game to Holy Names in the quarterfinals of the state tournament. Bea Franklin ’19 a captain for the panthers and a member of the 1st team all-metro said that “I definitely wanted to win state, but the thing that stinks is that we had such a great season and we had such high expectations that not getting to the state final took a lot away from our season of accomplishments.”

Although the soccer team did not reach their ultimate goal of the state title they did accomplish a lot over the season with a 23-2 record on the year.
The volleyball tea battled all the way to the end of their season to make an appearance in Yakima at the state tournament. Sophomore Mia Meighan 21’ said that “going to Yakima with some of the best girls here at Prep was such an awesome way to end a crazy season.”

Prep had a fantastic football season this year which concluded with a tough lost to Peninsula in the state round of 32. Their effort throughout the year showed in their entry into the state tournament and watch out for the mighty panther football team next fall. ‘

Both the girls and boys cross country ran their hearts out throughout the fall but only junior Cooper Klein 20’ and senior Luke Jensen were chosen to compete in the state race in the Tri-Cities. Both competitors earned great times and represented Prep extremely well. Overall the Panthers rocked it out of the park this fall and who knows what the future holds for these athletes.