The Seattle Prep Panther

• December 7Boys and Girls Basketball Defeated By Garfield

• December 7Girls Bowling Sweeps Ferndale 3-0

• December 3Christmas Choir Concert a Resounding Success

Seniors Share Stories on Pilgrimage

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Share Stories on Pilgrimage

Senior pilgrimage brought students together on a 10 mile hike.

Abby Arthur

Abby Arthur

Abby Arthur

Abby Malzewski, Staff Writer

Senior year for the class of 2019 is off to a great start with a successful senior pilgrimage. Led by Ms. Bernal’s Faith and Action class, 160 seniors had an amazing time bonding with their class and taping into their inner-spirituality on this retreat. These seniors took off from Prep early on September 22 for two full days of “hiking,” reflecting, and creating memories of their last year with their class.

Seniors spent the time to reflect on their classmates talks and chat with their peers they haven’t talked to in a while.

This retreat wouldn’t have been made possible without the enormous efforts of the Community Ministry team, especially Ms. Bernal, and her Faith in Action class. Ms. Bernal shared some insight into the fact that this pilgrimage was the, “biggest one yet. We’re talking about 60 more people than usual on this trip.” When asked why she thought there was such an increase in participants this year she said, “this just goes to show the unity of this particular class and how they value time together.”

Mr. Bernal shares that a retreat, such as the Senior Pilgrimage, is successful due to “the class itself and how much they are willing to put themselves into the retreat because you get out what you put in.” Also, she adds that the “Faith in Action leaders for sure drive how this specific retreat goes.”

One of the rectors of the retreat and a member of Ms. Bernal’s Faith in Action, Eli Dever ’19, said of preparing for the pilgrimage as a rector, “we had a lot of meetings with Ms. Bernal and spent countless hours in the classroom figuring out the logistics of the retreat.” Being a retreat leader for one’s own class is a very unique experience that not many at Prep go through. Dever says of this, “usually, I don’t know what’s going to happen when I go on a retreat, but knowing in advance, though it takes the surprise away, gets me way more excited.”

Seniors had such positive insights into their experience on the trip. One senior, Maddie Bender ‘19, exclaimed, “I thought the retreat was really fun and a good bonding experience for the class!” She further elaborated by saying that the senior pilgrimage was “special because in a few months we are all going to be graduating so it was a good experience for us to appreciate our class.” When asked what her favorite part of the retreat was, she responded “the open mic because it was fun to come full circle from freshman year and listen to our classmates.”

The behind the scenes work of Community Ministry and Faith and Action really paid off for an eventful and enjoyable retreat for the seniors. This pilgrimage kicked off a year of many “lasts” for this senior class before they embark on their lives beyond Seattle Prep.

About the Contributors
Abby Malzewski, Staff Writer

Abby Malzewski (far right) is a senior at Seattle Prep, and this is her second year on The Panther staff. Abby enjoys being pushed to her limit on runs...

Abby Arthur, Photo Editor

Abby Arthur is a senior this year and this is her third year on The Panther staff and second year as an editor.  Not many know this about her, but she...