The Seattle Prep Panther

“Times Up” on Inequality

Abby Malzewski, Staff Writer

“Times Up” is a movement that was founded on January 1 of this this year by Hollywood celebrities. This movement has built off the popularity of the #MeToo movement and the Harvey Weinstein cases that were recently brought to light. Although the “Times Up” and #MeToo movements are very similar, they have some different goals. The “Times Up” movement’s goals are to get more legislation passed that are focused on gender equality (equal pay, equal opportunities, etc.), while the #MeToo movement’s goal is to spread awareness of sexual assault cases.

Regarding the “Times Up” movement, there is also the “Times Up Legal Defense Fund” on GoFundMe, which was founded to provide financial support for people who want to fight sexual misconduct in the court system. The GoFundMe account has so far collected over $21 million dollars and its goal is $22 million dollars in only three months. There have been over 20,000 donations on that GoFundMe page. Donations from $5 to $50,000 are accepted online at: https://www.gofundme.com/timesup

According the “Times Up” website, the movement’s mission is “for (a) change from women in entertainment for women everywhere. From movie sets to farm fields to boardrooms alike, we envision nationwide leadership that reflects the world in which we live.” So far, the Times Up movement has made lots of progress and continues to stand strong through celebrities wearing black to support the movement at the 2018 Golden Globes and writing a published letter to the New York Times. We can’t wait to see what progress the “Times Up” movement makes next.

The “Times Up” website sums it up best: “The clock has run out on sexual assault, harassment and inequality in the workplace. It’s time to do something about it.”

If you would like to learn more information about the “Times Up” movement, visit: https://www.timesupnow.com/

About the Writer
Abby Malzewski, Staff Writer

Abby Malzewski (far right) is a senior at Seattle Prep, and this is her second year on The Panther staff. Abby enjoys being pushed to her limit on runs and making Spotify playlists with her XC partner forever Quinn Losse. She also enjoys eating mozzarella sticks with Gabi Jeakle, watching all the season of Parks and Recreation in one sitting, and taking long car rides to the 425. She is super excited for another year of her favorite class of the day, newspaper!!!