The Seattle Prep Panther

• December 7Boys and Girls Basketball Defeated By Garfield

• December 7Girls Bowling Sweeps Ferndale 3-0

• December 3Christmas Choir Concert a Resounding Success

Pushing for the Postseason: Prep Winter Sports Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Girls Basketball team gears up for a game. The team finished 6th overall in State.

Katie Bruce

Katie Bruce

Katie Bruce

Kate Leahy, Staff Writer

The season of winter sports is finally wrapping up as boys swim, girls bowling and boys and girls basketball have been making postseason appearances throughout the past month.

The second-year girls bowling team finished their season on February 3rd with a trip down to Tacoma to participate in a two-day long State Championship at Narrows Plaza. Here the girls broke both a team total pin score, a team baker score, and junior Chloe Saharic tied a Prep individual record score of 200. Sophomore Helen Simmons enjoyed her first season on the team and said, “the team grew to be really good friends with one and other and still rely on each other for help.”

She is also looking forward to helping the team out next season and added, “I hope to improve my average by at least 20 pins, even though it’s a lot.”

The 6-1 boys swim team ended their season after appearances in both Metro and District Championship meets. The team was led by seniors David Miner, Cole Bonipat, Cole Theime, junior Matt Adam and freshman Jake Hanley who all qualified and swam in Districts. Theime felt this was a particularly successful meet for swimmers and said, “we all dropped time and showed up well.”

Junior Liam McNett credited this seasons success to the supportive environment and said, “everyone is so kind on the swim team no matter what your skill level is. Everyone is really rooting for each other.”

Girls and boys basketball, although still currently participating in playoffs, have both been having outstanding seasons.

The varsity girls team had an outstanding regular season as their 14-1 record placed them first in the Metro Mountain Division, leading them into postseason play. After a win over Garfield, the girls fell short in a close 53-50 Metro Championship game against Cleveland. In Districts, wins over Ranier Beach and Redmond secured the team a spot at the Tacoma Dome later this month. Junior Helen Sauvage said her favorite memory from this season was, “playing in the Metro Championship because we haven’t been there since 2013.”

Sauvage also added, “the way we worked as a team on the court was really special” and “without the team’s hard work, perseverance and hustle, we wouldn’t have played the way we did.”

The varsity boys 11-4 regular season record led them to a series of tough matchups in the Metro Championships where they placed sixth overall. However, this year’s District Tournament was filled with excitement as the boys took home a big 58-55 win over Garfield, clinching a spot to play in the regional round of state. To wrap up their District appearance, the boys upset Ranier Beach 60-56 to place third in the tournament overall.

Congratulations to all the winter sports athletes this year on an amazing season!

About the Writer
Kate Leahy, Editor in Chief

Kate Leahy is a Senior and Co Editor-in-Chief of the Seattle Prep Panther and is excited to be back for her third and final year. Some of Kates interests...