Students Respond to Surface Switch

A+student+uses+their+Surface+to+complete+homework.+The+new+One-to-One+program+using+Microsoft+Surfaces+has+received+mixed+reactions+from+students.+

Alex Arce-Torres

A student uses their Surface to complete homework. The new One-to-One program using Microsoft Surfaces has received mixed reactions from students.

Kate Leahy, Staff Writer

Since the beginning of the year, the controversy regarding the new Microsoft Surfaces have been all the buzz on campus. Students are not shying away from sharing their opinions on the devices and many people are still getting used to the change. However, the Prep’s IT Department has been working hard to make sure this transition is as smooth as it can be.

Mr. Dietrich, Director of IT, said he and his team have been involved in very “detailed planning” with his team and that they were “trying to make sure nothing was left out.”

However, most students were hesitant towards the new transition despite all the hard work from the IT team. Junior Margaux Chhina is not particularly a fan of the switch and said when she found out Prep was getting surfaces she was “disappointed. I didn’t understand why. I thought the iPads worked fine.”

Another Junior, Abigail Hamblett, added by saying “I thought that the juniors got the rough end of the deal because we got iPads for 2 years and then we had to switch for 2 years.”

However, some students were slightly more optimistic about the change. Henry Means, a sophomore, said, “I was indifferent. I didn’t have a huge opinion.” Means also said, “I heard rumors about the class policy, so I wasn’t too happy about that.”

Although it may seem many students are unhappy with, and still getting used to the surfaces, they are enjoying a few of the new devices features. Freshman Derek Hissong noted, “OneNote is very helpful, it’s easy to take notes” and “I like the pen because it’s very responsive and helpful for taking notes as well.”

Mr. Dietrich felt that with the new devices, “we are seeing an expansion of what students can do with the MS Surface Pro 4 compared to what they could do last year. Also we are seeing an increased efficiency in completing daily assignments with Surfaces.”

However, with every new change comes challenges. Many students have found that communication has been more difficult than with the iPads. There is no more airdrop or iMessage for students to use. Means said, “I definitely miss being able to text people about homework and communicating in general.”

Chhina also added, “I miss the user-friendly ness, better battery life and apps of the iPad.” She also said, “It was easier to download apps without the admin thing.”

Although some may be struggling with the Surfaces, students have started to recognize why Prep decided to make the switch. Mr. Dietrich said when they were choosing to make the switch, “Prep looked at the successes of our One-to-One Program and other Jesuit schools around the country and we found the MS Surface to be a real good next step to enhance learning and teaching.”

Hamblett felt the Surfaces chosen because “it gives teachers more control over what the students are doing in class.”

Hissong thought Prep switched because, “they are better for work. It’s more professional and it’s got a lot of really helpful capabilities.”

Overall, there are still mixed opinions on the Surfaces this year and students and faculty are still getting used to the change. However, with the new programs set in place to streamline the technology at Prep, everyone should be able to adjust to the switch and improve their technology capabilities in the classroom.