Panthers Pounce on State Basketball Tournament

Myles Nowak, Staff Writer

The 8th ranked Boys Basketball team under Coach Kelly’s teaching managed a big win over 6 seed Timberline from Olympia in last week’s state tournament. A strong game all around from the Panthers delighted the big crowd of students that had come down to watch the boys and girls double header. A quick 12-0 run to start the game set the tone culminating in a strong 25 point 3rd quarter. Senior Collin Welp dropped 22 points on the hapless Blazers in the Dome as the boys cruised to an easy 71-53 win. With that win the boys were able to progress to the elite eight of the tournament against Lincoln. Despite a solid effort, the Panthers fell to Lincoln 70-58, ending their State playoff run.

The Varsity Girls Basketball team coached by Michelle Hall stormed through the playoffs this year, defeating teams by over 15 points. Unfortunately, when they reached their final State Tournament game, playing against Kamiakin, they suffered a tough loss. Despite this tough loss, the Panthers were able to end the season on a good note. They finished with an overall record of 20-9 and 12-4 in districts. Two players in particular did exceptionally well this season, leading the team in scoring. Chinwe Ezeonu, the leading scorer, finished with 183 points on the season. A recent addition to the Seattle Prep’s Basketball team, Marie Hauck ’19, was second in scoring on the team with 152 points on the season. The Seattle Prep Girls’ Basketball team played exceptionally this season and has a bright future with Hauck on their side.