Teacher Tots

Leeds Rising, Staff Writer

Regi Engel steals the show at a young age

Several teachers around Seattle Prep have children growing up around their workplace or will in future years. Many people inquire about how teachers manage work with a child at home, and also how teachers react when their kids are in the same work-place as them.

Math teacher Mr. Engel, who has a child named Reginald at home after his short leave last May, said that his child inspired him to work harder and more efficiently as he wants to get home and see him. Mr. Engel also plans to send Regi through the Mercer Island public school chain or Saint Monica before finally arriving at Seattle Prep and possibly being taught by his dad.

Art teacher Ms. Dold also has a young daughter named Harper, who already loves hanging around the Seattle Prep campus, making her well-known to many upperclassmen already attending Prep. Her favorite people to hang around are the seniors, as Ms. Dold said, possibly because they were the biggest and oldest people around aside from her mom. Harper shares Ms. Dold’s love and passion for art and has some excellent art pieces of her own already. Ms. Dold also plans to send Harmon to Seattle Prep when she is old enough, as she is practically a member of the community already with all the time she spends at her mom’s work place.

Some teachers, such as Ms. Murphy and Ms. Bernal, already have kids attending Prep. Ms. Murphy noted that while most of her classes remain the same, seeing her child while at work was weird, but also nice as she was given a chance to hear ‘Hi mom’ instead of the usual Ms. Murphy.

Ms. Bernal said that at first it made her schedule different and odd, but once she was able to sort this out made her days easier and more enjoyable. Ms. Bernal also said that she never hesitated about sending her children to Seattle Prep, even though it is her workplace, and that she would not have wanted them anywhere else.

While observers might think that having children in a parents workplace is hard to manage, all the teachers interviewed said otherwise. Although many of them could have the choice to send their children to different high schools besides Prep to avoid the sometimes called ‘awkward’ moment of seeing a family member at school, they are encouraged to send them here as they have a high appreciation for the school and also love having their kids around them and being able to talk to them throughout the day.