Girls Lacrosse Looks to Start Positive Season Early

Meghan Kearney, Prep Life Editor

Who says October is too early to start preparing for spring sports? Definitely not the girl’s lacrosse captains Annie Gillis ‘13, Elise Feider ‘13, and Maggie Slack ‘13. By going on fun team-bonding activities and holding pre-season captain’s practices, they hope to build team camaraderie that lasts well into the spring time.

On October 13, the team headed out to Issaquah and watched a D1 game between the University of Southern California and the University of Oregon. Aside from picking up on defensive tactics and some complex stick-skills, the girls had fun spending time with their teammates and coach, Lyndsey Gillis.

Sophomore Sam Eco attended not only the game, but a clinic put on by the college athletes with some of her fellow players from last season before the main event.  Eco noted “Going to the clinic with my teammates made me realize how much I miss playing lacrosse with these girls. I had so much fun freshman year and I think this year will be even better.”

Last spring, the girls were in an unusual situation when there were no seniors on the team, making it the only Prep sport consisting of just freshman, sophomores, and juniors. However, this gave the squad two years together and a chance for everyone to become better friends and teammates. Part of growing team amity consists of bonding experiences on and off the field, such as attending the D1 game and fun pre-season practices held by the captains. Along with team-lunches and dress-up days, the girl’s lacrosse team could easily be the most closely-knit group of athletes at Prep.

Aside from making the lacrosse experience more collegial, the captains hope all their pre-season training pays off when it comes time for the state tournament. Unfortunately the team was just barely cut short of their spot in the playoffs last season. Hopefully, all the extra wall-ball and captain’s practices this fall and winter will give the girls the skills needed to secure them a place in next year’s tournament.

The captains encourage everyone to consider playing Seattle Prep Girl’s Lacrosse. Even if you weren’t on the team last year, it is never too late to “seek the magis” and try a new sport, and why not try one that is incredibly enjoyable?

As senior captain Maggie Slack puts it “We are all such good friends which makes the whole experience fun and worthwhile. I truly think this will be one of the best seasons of Prep lax ever.”