Girls’ Night Out Celebrates Volleyball Seniors on Last Home Game

Sierra Leza ‘17 receives flowers and a hug from Coach Sullivan during the Girls Volleyball Senior Night ceremony. Senior Night coincided with Girls’ Night Out, a tradition celebrating girls sports throughout Seattle Prep.

Owen Hendricks, Staff Writer

On Thursday, October 20th Prep’s volleyball seniors hosted “Girls Night Out”; an event that celebrates girls’ sports throughout Seattle Prep. The volleyball team also had Senior Night which honored all of the time and commitment that the Senior volleyball players have put in over their time at Prep. Once the JV Volleyball girls played and defeated Bainbridge’s JV 2-1, Varsity took the court. Prep volleyball got off to a great start winning the first set 25-22. After the first set Seattle Prep recognized the girls golf team (Currently 7-2) and The girls soccer team (Currently 16-0).
Despite winning the first set, the volleyball team was unable to win another set and lost to Bainbridge High School 3-1. Prep served at 90%, and hit above .200. Sophomore Sophie Piacentini passed a 2.43 average her high for the season.
After the match finished, underclassmen members of the volleyball team gave speeches about the seniors on the team, specifically explaining what they appreciated about them and why they will miss them next year.

The Seniors recognized were Allison Wilson, Madi Todd, Sierra Leza, Maddy Marquardt, and Katie Erickson. After the game Frederick Graham ‘17 said, “Girls Night Out was a great way to be able to celebrate girls’ sports and to be able to recognize all that dedication and commitment the Seniors have put in.”

Helena Reischling ‘19 on the girls soccer team, she said, “It was great to see how many people showed up to celebrate and support girls’ sports teams at Prep.”

Although this wasn’t the result the Panthers were looking for, it was still a fun and enjoyable way to celebrate the seniors and celebrate all girl athletes at Prep.

After Senior night, the Prep Volleyball team ended their regular season 7-9, making the playoffs and playing West Seattle in the first round. Prep soundly beat West Seattle 3-0 and then played Lakeside on Thursday, October 27, unfortunately losing 0-3. Prep then entered the Metro tournament and played both Garfield and Ballard. At the Metro tournament, Allison Wilson ‘17 and Sophie Piacentini ‘19 both received second team all Metro award. The Panthers season ended in the District tournament with a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Roosevelt High School on November 3.