Then & Now: Tips for Prepsters

Mikaela Frigillana, Online Editor

Dont’s for Prepsters

(the following excerpts are reprinted from the December 14, 1945 issue of The Panther)

Don’t get to school before 8:34 in the morning, for the tardy bell won’t ring until 8:35, and it will give Fr. McDonnell plenty of practice yelling at you to hurry.

Don’t neglect to slam your locker whenever opportunity permits—you pay your tuition and the school can afford to buy new ones every year any way.

Don’t fail to whistle and sing in the halls; there is seldom any commotion in the corridors, and a talent scout might hear you and sign you up.

Don’t ever open a book and study while waiting for a class to begin or a teacher to arrive, but talk to all the boys; such a light noise can’t make any difference.

Don’t bring any books to study hall; no one goes there for study anyway.

Don’t pick up any waste paper you see lying around; leave it where it is, because Bill is hired to pick up scraps of paper, and the smaller the pieces the more interesting the work.

Don’t fail to visit the library if bored in study hall. All the gang is down there and it’s a good opportunity to give Fr. Renner a bad time.

Don’t ever pass up a chance to block the locker room door when a crowd wants in; you might as well make them earn their books for the next period.

Don’t neglect to fly from your seat with a crash whenever the bell rings; who knows, the teacher might be explaining something that would be helpful to you.

Don’t get interested in any extra curricular activities, that isn’t in your contract and besides you must rush home and study.

Above all, never let anyone beat you to the lunchroom when the lunch bell rings; it’s your right and privilege to get there first, even if you must knock several others down in the rush to get there.

Tips for Prepsters 2016

Don’t use electronics or give in to distractions during morning prayer, to avoid the consequences of an angry teacher or JUG.

Don’t hesitate to participate in or learn more about the multitude of new clubs and activities Prep has to offer including Bowling, Feminist Interest Group (FIG) and Video Game Club.

Don’t come to class unprepared – always bring the proper materials and a stylus for taking notes on an iPad.

Don’t be afraid to talk to counselors for advice – from anxious freshman dealing with the stress of a new school to weary seniors preparing for college – they’re there to help.

Don’t acquire more than four tardies in a class per semester to avoid scrubbing desks or picking up garbage after school for an hour with fellow late-comers.

Don’t consider school masses as social hour to chat with friends. Be attentive, quiet and respectful.

Don’t forget to upload important homework assignments due to turnitin.com before the given time window to avoid receiving a late grade penalty.

Don’t fail to assign a clean-up captain to each table after lunch in the Great Room or Cafeteria.

Don’t eat in the library – help keep the space clean!

Don’t mistakingly purchase the wrong version of a Collegio novel or download it on a device. Even in today’s digital age, most Prep teachers still prefer the paper copy.