Schoolteachers’ Summer Sixteen

Mr. Johnston shares an embrace with his favorite fern, a potential plant in his new garden.

Meghan McLaughlin, Editor in Chief

Breaking news: It turns out teachers have lives outside of school, as hard as it may be to believe. Once the finals are graded and Veracross is updated one final time, teachers let loose just as students do without the ties of the regular school day weighing them down. Filled with a variety of activities differing from that of their students, the summer of 2016 is bound to be a sizzlin’ one for the Seattle Prep faculty and staff.
Prep Librarian, Mrs. Borgen plans on staying at the Gallop House of Jefferson, Iowa over a long weekend to visit family in the town where her father is from. The Gallop House is a home built in the shape of an octagon because that shape was believed to withstand tornadoes more stably.

Also getting away from the book-clad shelves for a bit is Mrs. Lovejoy. In June, she will be graduating with a master’s degree and this will be her first summer not in school for a while. With this spare time, she plans on doing some genealogy research to uncover the roots of her family history. In August, she and her family are taking a trip down to California for a wedding in the Bay Area and a visit to Sequoia National Park. She will also be treating her kids to Disneyland and Harry Potter World. To wrap up this exciting summer, Mrs. Lovejoy will attend a family reunion in Montana over Labor Day Weekend.
In another venture to Montana, Mr. Niggemeyer will spend some time relaxing at his house on Flathead Lake.
Mr. Meza, on the other hand, will spend his summer as a student. He will also be taking a trip to Hawaii and devoting his time to being a good dad.
Another teacher who is looking forward to spending time with his family is Mr. Elsner. He plans to take his kids, Felix and Lincoln, to Sunriver for some fun quality time. In addition to hanging out with his family at home, Mr. Elsner will also be hanging out with the Prep community. Tending to his duties as Athletic Director as well as teaching the technical writing class for middle schoolers will keep him busy on the Prep campus this summer.
Mr. Johnston promises to live out his role as a biology and E3 teacher this summer by becoming one with the earth. He declared, “I will become a master gardener.”
Mr. Richardson will attend two teaching seminars this summer, one on the Jim Crow Era, and another on the History of the Hoover Dam. Richardson has plans beyond the classroom and will also be preparing to welcome a baby boy to the world this October!
No matter where they are this summer or what they are doing, the Seattle Prep faculty and staff will continue to impact the lives of those around them just as they do on campus during the school year.