Oh What Fun Prep Christmas Concert Was

The Seattle Prep Choir performs under the direction of Dr. Huntley Beyer

Jeffrey Pelayo, Online Editor

‘Twas the night before Tuesday, when all through the school, Seattle Prep students sang songs of the yule. On Monday, December 6, the Prep choir helped to spread Christmas cheer throughout the Prep community with its delightful performance. About 70 students were “falalalala-ing” tunes to Christmas classics directed by Mr. Beyer and accompanist Mr. Kechley as families, friends, and faculty gathered in the theater to indulge this winter wonderful experience.
The concert was a combination of whispers, hums, and loud “bahs” that would come together beautifully when the basses, tenors, altos, and sopranos sang their different parts in peaceful harmony. The students sang Christmas carols such as “Silver Bells,” “White Christmas,” “Silent Night,” “Mary, Did You Know?” and “Bell Carol of the Kings.” They even sang Christmas songs that the audience might have not heard before and songs that are not very “Christmasy” at all, including “Jesu, Joy of Our Desiring,” “People Look East,” and “Loch Lomond.” Every once in a while, some of the students would even perform solos. The audience was gifted with the unique voices of Tieran Sweeny-Bender ‘16, Lillie Brown ‘16, Juan Bernal ‘16, Sam Eco ‘16, Lily Dowling ‘17, Anna Petgrave ‘17, Matt Seib ‘17, and Erin O’Driscoll ‘18, who sang songs like “Winter Wonderland” and “Let it Snow.” In addition, the students looked very dashing (through the snow) in their classy tuxedos and dresses as a representation of the overall elegance that the concert delivered.
The concert received the help from talented musicians such as Daniel Sullivan on the violin and Mr. Kechley on the piano. This was also the first time that transitions were used between each song, all thanks to accompanist Mr. Kechley. The Prep Choir is very grateful to have a talented pianist like Mr. Kechley because, “it takes a musical prodigy like him to read, create, and play notes like that on the spot,” said Mr. Beyer.
The choir had been preparing for the concert for about three months and it is evident that all of that hard work was worth it in the end. This year’s Christmas concert was a fantastic way to get into the Christmas spirit as the Prep Choir wished the audience a merry Christmas with their angelic voices. Al Bernal ‘17 said “This Christmas concert was definitely ‘Oh, what fun!’”