No More Puyallup Fair

Fiona Scanlan

The Seattle Prep faculty has made the decision to end the Puyallup Fair trip. In the past, the annual Puyallup Fair day has been a well anticipated, popular, and enjoyable tradition for sophomore classes. This event occurred within the first few weeks of the school year, just when the weather starts getting chillier and and the Washington State Fair opens. However, this year, the faculty decided to stop the Puyallup Fair tradition for numerous reasons. The first reason being, many students came back from the day disappointed because they didn’t get to spend much time on rides; most of their time was spent by buying giant elephant ears and the famous fair scones. ( Alexia Gulliot De Suduiraut ’17) “The lines for the rides were very long so we didn’t have enough time to go on very many rides; I liked going to see the animals and it was fun spending time with my friends at the fair.” Another concern is the un-practical efforts that have gone in to making this day happen. Including that: classes are put on hold, the expenses, and the distance to travel. With these efforts, it didn’t feel like students experiences at the Fair were as positive as faculty would hope for. On top of these concerns, with the 2015-2016 school year, another factor came into the mix; an additional Urban Plunge. The Urban Plunge retreat is the memorable service experience of learning what it is like to be homeless for a weekend. With an added retreat, there isn’t room in the Fall for an additional day off school for sophomores. Although the Puyallup Fair was enjoyed over the years, the Prep faculty has made the decision to end it. A new activity for sophomores will be set to replace the fair and the faculty is confident that it will be a success for the years to come.